Man dies of anthrax in RussiaAugust 27th, 2012 - 9:47 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 27 (IANS) A man has died of anthrax in Russia’s Siberia region after being infected when he handled the carcass of a sick cow, RIA Novosti reported Monday.
The incident took place in Druzhba village in southern Siberia’s Altai region, said a spokesman for the region’s emergency service.
Laboratory tests by specialists from federal agency Rospotrebnadzor confirmed infection in three people, one of whom died, he said.
Doctors said the victim died Saturday, but sought medical aid only a week after developing anthrax symptoms, when it was too late.
The man’s 11-year-old son was also infected and is now under medical supervision.
Druzhba village with a population of 740, where all the three cases had been registered, was quarantined and vaccination ordered for all animals. Stray animals are also being killed to contain the outbreak.
Seven people have been hospitalised, and a total of 32 people who came in contact with infected cattle are receiving preventive therapy. The infection is not transmitted from human to human.
- South Asia: Hot spot for cross-border diseases - Aug 14, 2012
- Mad cow case detected in US - Apr 25, 2012
- 38 infected with anthrax in Bangladesh - Aug 20, 2010
- Anthrax shot protects simians from lethal infection - Jan 13, 2012
- Research for Congo virus antidote on: Health expert - Jan 23, 2011
- Anthrax infects Orissa villagers, 18 ill - Jun 09, 2010
- Suspected anthrax outbreak in Orissa, 25 ill - Jul 31, 2010
- Outbreak of Anthrax in Andhra Pradesh - May 10, 2009
- 1.4 bn at rabies risk in Southeast Asia: WHO - Sep 27, 2011
- Braj gives atray cattle new shelter on Holi - Mar 19, 2011
- No need to panic about killer virus: ICMR - Jan 19, 2011
- Chicken vaccines mutate into new virus - Jul 16, 2012
- Rabies outbreak death toll reaches 100 in Indonesia's Bali - Oct 15, 2010
- 17 fall ill in China after eating beef - Aug 24, 2012
- Has Srinagar gone to the dogs, residents ask (Jammu and Kashmir Newsletter) - Jul 20, 2012
Tags: altai region, anthrax symptoms, carcass, cattle, doctors, emergency service, laboratory tests, medical aid, medical supervision, novosti, outbreak, preventive therapy, russia moscow, service laboratory, siberia, sick cow, southern siberia, spokesman, stray animals, vaccination