Maharashtra moots murder charge for female foeticideJuly 10th, 2012 - 8:41 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 10 (IANS) The Maharashtra government Tuesday mooted slapping murder charges on those involved in female foeticide.
“We shall send a proposal to the centre to apply Indian Penal Code Section 302 (murder) on those, including family members and medicos, involved in forced abortions of female foetus,” Health Minister Suresh Shetty informed the assembly.
Shetty said that at present only provisions of Medical Termination of Pregnancy (MTP) Act and the Pre-conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques were applicable to cases of illegal sex tests and abortion of female foetus.
The minister said that the family members of pregnant women who force her to undergo illegal sex tests or abortion would also be booked.
Nationalist Congress Party member Jitendra Avhad pointed out that people did not fear these laws and that was the reason for the growing incidents of illegal sex tests and abortion of female foetus.
Shetty pointed out that action had been taken against four family members till date, but dismissed contentions made by some members that the government was going too tough on raiding and sealing sonography centres and pharmacies selling abortion pills.
Congress member Gopal Agarwal felt that honest medicos were feeling terrorised as they apprehended action on account of minor technical issues.
Shetty assured that the laws would be followed properly and abortion pills would be sold on the prescription of a gynaecologist.
Referring to the government’s campaign on the matter, Shetty said that renowned lawyer Ujjwal Nikam would fight the state’s case against the doctor couple from Beed, Sudam and his wife Saraswati Munde, who indulged in female foeticide. The two are in judicial custody.
Of the total 8,331 sonography centres in the state, 291 have already been sealed and of the 4,117 MTP centres, action has been taken against 341 so far, he added.
- Maharashtra orders crackdown on illegal sex tests - Jun 07, 2012
- Maharashtra doctor couple in police custody till June 30 - Jun 18, 2012
- Rajasthan cracks down on sonography centres - May 10, 2012
- Punjab orders probe into female foeticide case - Apr 01, 2011
- Now, Maharashtra seeks Aamir's support for girl child - May 11, 2012
- Activists slam device claiming to curb female foeticide - Dec 15, 2011
- Declining sex ratio attributed to misuse of medical technology - Dec 18, 2011
- Azad reconstitutes Central Supervisory Board under PNDT Act - Apr 09, 2011
- Charges filed against Maharashtra doctor couple - Sep 12, 2012
- Female foeticide: Maharashtra doctor in police custody - Jun 03, 2012
- Rajasthan deploys spies to curb sex determination tests - Jan 03, 2012
- Cradle in every village - to save the girl child (With Images) - May 24, 2011
- Haryana takes another step to stop female foeticide - May 09, 2012
- Sex detection rampant in Delhi: NGO - Jun 23, 2011
- New advisory board on pre-natal tests to meet Wednesday - Apr 19, 2011
Tags: abortion pills, congress member, contentions, doctor couple, female foeticide, gynaecologist, health minister, illegal sex, including family, indian penal code, judicial custody, maharashtra government, medical termination of pregnancy, murder charge, nationalist congress party, party member, penal code section, sex tests, sudam, termination of pregnancy