Lucknow doctors to head two new AIIMSSeptember 4th, 2011 - 5:52 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Sep 4 (IANS) Of the six new All India Institutes of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) coming up in different states, two will be headed by doctors from this Uttar Pradesh capital.
G.K. Singh and Sandeep Kumar — surgeons working at the century-old King George’s Medical College (now Chattrapati Shahuji Maharaj Medical University) have been selected to head the new AIIMS at Patna in Bihar and Bhopal in Madhya Pradesh respectively.
The other AIIMS are located at Jodhpur in Rajasthan, Raipur in Chhattisgarh, Rishikesh in Uttarakhand and Bhubaneswar in Orissa.
“The decision to set up AIIMS on the lines of the 50-year-old AIIMS in New Delhi was taken by the central government a couple of years ago to make tertiary medical care available to common people in different parts of the country,” Singh told IANS.
“I am told that all the new AIIMS would become functional by 2012,” said Kumar.
Singh is the head of the orthopaedics surgery department and Kumar heads the breast surgery department. Both have had brilliant academic records and wide experience in their respective disciplines.
Singh is an alumnae of King George’s Medical College where he topped his batch, while Kumar passed out with a gold medal from the Allahabad Medical College. Both joined King George’s Medical College as lecturers and have been teaching there for three decades.
While Singh was a Fellow of the International College of Surgeons, Kumar did his Ph.D from Cardiff University and was a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons.
Singh has the distinction of doing a stint as advisor at the B.P. Koirala Institute of Health Sciences in Nepal.
Both said they would assume their new offices later this month. The academic session at the Patna and Bhopal AIIMS is expected to commence from 2012.
- Injured Arunima's condition stable, say doctors - Apr 19, 2011
- Rs.93 bn more for setting up six AIIMS-like institutions - Mar 19, 2010
- AIIMS-Patna to start this year, says Ghulam Nabi Azad - May 24, 2012
- Injured Arunima to be shifted to AIIMS (Lead) - Apr 18, 2011
- Government proposing a new National Urban Health Mission: PM - Jun 30, 2012
- Injured Arunima to be shifted to AIIMS - Apr 18, 2011
- Arunima stable, responding to treatment - Apr 20, 2011
- Lok Sabha passes bill for AIIMS-like institutes - Aug 30, 2012
- Cabinet gives nod to set up six AIIMS-like institutions - Mar 19, 2010
- Visitors keep coming to see Arunima in hospital - Apr 21, 2011
- Arunima recovering, mother thanks AIIMS - Apr 21, 2011
- Injured Arunima's condition now stable, say doctors (Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- AIIMS approaches police against Arunima's relative - Apr 23, 2011
- Separate societies for six AIIMS-like institutions to be set up under PMSSY - Aug 26, 2010
- Six AIIMS-like institutions by end-2013: Azad - Feb 02, 2012
Tags: academic records, academic session, aiims, bhopal, bhubaneswar, breast surgery, cardiff university, college of surgeons, institute of health, institute of health sciences, orthopaedics surgery, patna, raipur, rishikesh, sandeep kumar, surgery department, tertiary medical care, three decades, uttar pradesh capital, uttarakhand