Lok Sabha passes bill for AIIMS-like institutesAugust 30th, 2012 - 9:45 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 30 (IANS) Amid slogans demanding the prime minister’s resignation over coal block allocations, the Lok Sabha Thursday passed a bill to set up more AIIMS-like institutes in states.
The All India Institute of Medical Sciences (Amendment) Bill, 2012, replaces an ordinance which allowed the six AIIMS-like institutes to become operational from Sep 15.
The bill also gives the central government authority to establish more AIIMS-like institutes.
The six institutes were approved for Patna in Bihar, Raipur in Chhattisgarh, Bhopal in Madhya Pradesh, Bhubaneswar in Odisha, Jodhpur in Rajasthan and Rishikesh in Uttarakhand.
The Bharatiya Janata Party-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA), which has been stalling parliament over the coal block allocations issue for then past one week, said it was also in favour of passing the bill.
“It is an important bill to set up AIIMS-like institutes. We are also in favour of passing the bill,” NDA convener Sharad Yadav said.
The bill will now be sent to the Rajya Sabha for approval.
The All India Institute of Medical Sciences Act, 1956, was legislated for establishment of AIIMS in New Delhi.
Then, six AIIMS-like institutions were finalised after the Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana, a central health scheme, was announced in 2003.
The six institutes were to be set up under the Societies Registration Act, 1860, broadly similar to the existing AIIMS.
However, without passing the bill, the institutes set up under the Societies Registration Act, 1860, would not have the authority to impart medical education and grant degrees or diplomas in medical education.
In order to make them operational for medical education, the bill was needed and was passed Thursday.
- Rajya Sabha passes bill for AIIMS-like institutes - Sep 04, 2012
- Separate societies for six AIIMS-like institutions to be set up under PMSSY - Aug 26, 2010
- Six AIIMS-like institutions to be registered as societies - Aug 09, 2010
- With Rs.1,100 crore, AIIMS bags highest budget share - Mar 16, 2012
- Lok Sabha passes chemical weapons, AIIMS bills - Aug 30, 2012
- Cabinet clears societies to run six AIIMS-like institutions - Aug 09, 2010
- Cabinet gives nod to set up six AIIMS-like institutions - Mar 19, 2010
- AIIMS gets Rs.1,000 crore in budget - Feb 28, 2011
- Rs.93 bn more for setting up six AIIMS-like institutions - Mar 19, 2010
- Parliamentary approval for NIMHANS Bill - Sep 04, 2012
- Government proposing a new National Urban Health Mission: PM - Jun 30, 2012
- AIIMS-Patna to start this year, says Ghulam Nabi Azad - May 24, 2012
- Government may get some bills passed amidst din - Aug 28, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal to get AIIMS-like institutes: Azad - Jul 10, 2009
- BJP protests stall parliament again (Second Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
Tags: aiims, all india institute of medical sciences, amendment bill, bharatiya janata party, bhopal, bhubaneswar, central government, central health, government authority, india institute, jodhpur, Lok Sabha, medical education, national democratic alliance, patna, raipur, rajya sabha, registration act, rishikesh, sharad yadav