Lettuce Recall Announced In 23 States Of The USAMay 8th, 2010 - 5:20 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Ohio, May 8, (THAINDIAN NEWS) The vegetarians in the USA who prefer savoring on lettuce have hard days ahead of them. Manufacturers like Freshway Foods and Imperial Sysco have issued a recall of romaine lettuce in a number of states in the USA. The recall has been issued due to a severe E Coli outbreak possibility. The US states like Ohio, North Carolina, Massachusetts, Missouri, Kentucky and South Carolina are among the affected ones and the total number of states affected by this recall stands at 23. The recalled lettuce stock was supplied to a huge number of store salad bars, wholesale outlets as well as food service outlets. The company has asked the customers who have bought packs having a ‘Use by Date’ stamp of May 12 or earlier to discard the packets altogether.
The romaine lettuce recall is also applicable to brands like Kroger, Giant Eagle and Ingles Markets among others. These brands usually sell ready to eat variants of Lettuce. The FDA asked the companies including Freshway to issue a recall. A few cases of contamination owing to the lettuce were reported and some of the victims of contamination are reportedly in critical condition. The processing plant of the company located in Sydney has been checked but the FDA has not found anything amiss there. Most likely the crops were contaminated, feel experts.
The FDA said that the contaminated lettuce can prove to be fatal for the kids and the elderly lot whereas the ones in the middle stand a fair chance of recovery. Freshway has suggested that the customers should discard the packages whereas the other brands have said that they will refund the customers.
- Lettuce E. Coli Outbreak Spreads - May 14, 2010
- Lettuce E. coli outbreak spreads to four states - May 14, 2010
- Burger King worker posted pictures of himself standing in bins of lettuce - Jul 19, 2012
- Eggs Recalled Owing To Salmonella Infection In Ohio Farm - Nov 09, 2010
- Latest Egg Recall Issued By Cal-Maine Foods - Nov 10, 2010
- Frozen vegetables recalled as they contain glass shards - Oct 19, 2010
- Sally Jackson Recalls Cheese Products Due To Potential E.Coli Contamination - Dec 20, 2010
- Kroger's Onion Soup and Dip Mix Recall: One Among Many - Mar 02, 2010
- Lettuce E. Coli Outbreak Spreads To Tennessee - May 14, 2010
- Tylenol Recalled Along With A String Of Other Medicines - May 01, 2010
- National Beef recalls beef over e-coli concerns - Aug 15, 2011
- FDA: Egg Recall Could Have Been Avoided - Aug 20, 2010
- 228 million eggs to be recalled because of salmonella poisoning fears - Aug 18, 2010
- Alfalfa Sprout Recall Issued In All US States - May 23, 2010
- Bacterial contamination found in the recalled Tylenol products - May 05, 2010
Tags: contaminated lettuce, contamination, critical condition, date stamp, e coli, e coli outbreak, freshway foods, giant eagle, ingles markets, kroger, number of states, ranjan, romaine lettuce recall, salad bars, service outlets, states in the usa, states of the usa, sysco, vegetarians, wholesale outlets