Legislator blames doctors for death of Kashmiri kidsMay 17th, 2012 - 3:32 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, May 17 (IANS) A sitting MLA Thursday led a protest outside the G.P. Pant Hospital in summer capital Srinagar, blaming the doctors for the death of Kashmiri children at the premier hospital.
“It is nothing short of a mass murder of our children,” Engineer Rashid, an independent legislator from north Kashmir’s Langate constituency told reporters outside the hospital.
“For 1,700 patients, the hospital has just three ventilators. On Friday, I will lodge an FIR (first information report) against the doctors in connection with the deaths,” Rashid said.
Minister for Medical Education R.S. Chib, who visited the hospital Thursday, admitted that 358 children have died in the hospital since Jan 1 this year, 35 of them during the last fortnight.
The state government has ordered a one-man probe by Showkat Ali Zargar, director of the prestigious Sher-e-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences Soura (SKIMS), into the deaths. Zargar has been asked to submit his report within a week.
- Kashmir hospital chief removed over 368 kids' deaths (Lead) - May 18, 2012
- Senior doctor to probe kids' deaths at Srinagar hospital (Lead) - May 16, 2012
- Probe ordered into Kashmiri kids' deaths - May 16, 2012
- Kashmir car rally driver killed in crash, aide critical - Jul 02, 2012
- SPO shot at in Kashmir's Sopore - Aug 24, 2011
- National Conference worker shot at in Srinagar - Sep 15, 2011
- Kashmir car rally driver killed in crash, aide critical (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Another teenager dies, Kashmir toll rises to 64 - Aug 25, 2010
- 18 injured in Srinagar bridge collapse - Aug 11, 2012
- Former militant, bystander shot at in Srinagar - Jun 07, 2012
- Another teen dies in Kashmir, 20 hurt in clashes (Roundup) - Aug 25, 2010
- Mughal Road Car Rally navigator dies of injuries - Jul 03, 2012
- Injured youth dies in Srinagar hospital - Jun 20, 2010
- 103 deaths in 104 days as curfew continues in Kashmir - Sep 22, 2010
- Four killed, 47 injured in Kashmir Friday - Aug 13, 2010
Tags: chib, constituency, deaths, fir, fortnight, information report, kashmir, legislator, mass murder, medical education, medical sciences, mla, north kashmir, pant, rashid, sher, skims, soura, state government, ventilators