Lean protein helps dieters resist late night snacksApril 1st, 2011 - 2:13 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, April 1 (IANS) Does being on a diet tempt you to munch snacks late at night. You can overcome the urge by including lean proteins like chicken breast, fish, egg whites or cottage cheese in your meals.
Lean proteins that also include beans, fish, protein powder and lean pork increase feelings of fullness and decrease distracting thoughts about food, says a new study.
Researchers at Purdue University conducted two studies on overweight and obese men eating either a normal protein diet (14 percent of total calories from protein), or a higher protein diet (25 percent of total calories from lean protein).
They looked at short-term and long-term effects of the two protein levels in both the studies, reports the journal Obesity 1,2.
The higher protein diets were associated with greater feelings of fullness during weight loss, and in the longer study, particularly decreased late-night desires to eat — key findings that could ultimately reduce calorie intake and affect weight loss success, according to a Purdue statement.
“Our research shows that eating about a quarter of one’s daily calories as lean protein (pork) and other high quality proteins three times a day is a powerful dietary weapon for people seeking weight loss,” said study lead Heather Leidy.
Leidy is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Nutrition and Exercise Physiology at the University of Missouri.
- High-protein diet reduces hunger in obese - Jul 11, 2011
- 3 square meals a day with lean protein help curb hunger for weight loss - Apr 01, 2011
- Three meals a day help in weight loss than six mini-meals - Sep 24, 2010
- Eggs at breakfast help teenagers modulate hunger, weight - Jun 03, 2010
- Protein-rich breakfast wards off overeating - May 20, 2011
- High protein breakfasts can help obese teens manage weight - Jun 03, 2010
- Eating 3 meals a day 'is a better way to diet than grazing' - Sep 24, 2010
- Dessert with breakfast can benefit dieters - Jun 26, 2012
- World's largest diet study finally solves obesity riddle - Nov 25, 2010
- Weight loss supplements are no good - Mar 07, 2012
- Diet used by Kate Middleton's mum branded a 'health hazard' - Nov 27, 2010
- Women on dieting cycles seldom lose weight - May 23, 2011
- Know your diet personality type to cut your flab - Apr 18, 2011
- Turning 'bad' fat into 'good' could help cure obesity - May 04, 2011
- Calories, not carbs, key to weight loss - Feb 08, 2012
Tags: chicken breast, cottage cheese, distracting thoughts, egg whites, exercise physiology, fish egg, fish protein, greater feelings, lean pork, lean protein, leidy, night snacks, obese men, protein diet, protein diets, protein levels, protein powder, purdue university, quality proteins, weight loss success