Lakshmi makes first public appearance after rare surgeryNovember 14th, 2007 - 10:39 am ICT by admin
A team of around 30 medics removed what amounted to Lakshmi Tatma’s headless identical twin sister who was joined at the pelvis and who did not develop and separate properly in the womb — an extremely rare case, in a risky operation that began on Tuesday.
Lakshmi, who was born with four arms, four legs and extra internal organs, was expected to be in the operating theatre for 40 hours, but the surgery was over within 27 hours.
Besides the removal of the extra limbs, Lakshmi’s deformed pelvis and spine were corrected, and the redundant extra organs removed, doctors said.
Doctors said the surgery was worth the risk, saying that Lakshmi, who could not walk on her deformed limbs, would have otherwise little chance of living past adolescence.
The operation is considered extremely complicated and rare in the medical history of the country.
Lakshmi’s parents, who are poor labourers hailing from Bihar, are not financially strong to bear the surgery cost. They told newspapers that they had refused offers from circus owners to buy their daughter.
The hospital said it was covering the cost of the surgery. (ANI)
- Karnataka Chief Minister meets Lakshmi - Nov 15, 2007
- Lakshmi is stable and recovering fast, says doctors - Nov 14, 2007
- Separated conjoined twins to be discharged in two weeks - May 04, 2010
- SC pushes for medical separation of conjoined sisters - Jul 16, 2012
- Lakshmi recognises parents, says doctor - Nov 14, 2007
- Lakshmi returns home after successful operation for extra four limbs - Dec 15, 2007
- SC pushes for surgical separation of conjoined sisters (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Conjoined Irish twins Hassan and Hussein separated by British doctors - Apr 09, 2010
- Diwali gift for Lakshmi's parents, as she smiles after seeing them - Nov 14, 2007
- Separated conjoined twins to be discharged next week - May 12, 2010
- Baby with six legs born in Pakistan - Apr 18, 2012
- Separated a month ago, Siamese twins go home Saturday - May 28, 2010
- Delhi surgeons to separate conjoined twins from Bihar - Mar 31, 2010
- Separated Siamese twins to be discharged by Saturday - May 27, 2010
- Villagers idolize Lakshmi as Goddess, sans extra limbs - Dec 29, 2007
Tags: adolescence, bihar, deformed limbs, doctors, financially, intensive care unit, internal organs, lakshmi, little chance, medical history, medics, operating theatre, pelvis, public appearance, risky operation, spine, twin sister, womb, worth the risk