Lakshmi is stable and recovering fast, says doctorsNovember 14th, 2007 - 10:18 am ICT by admin
“The baby was found to be stable and that was a momentous moment for us because we suddenly could see Laksmi with only two limbs, two legs and two arms which was something we envisioned,” said Patil.
Lakshmi’s father Shambhu is hoping that she would lead a normal life.
“I have been told that she has two hands and two legs. I am very happy and have total confidence on the doctors. I have seen her only on the TV,” said Shambhu.
Lakshmi was born with four arms, four legs and extra internal organs.
A team of around 30 medicos had removed what amounted to Lakshmi Tatma’s headless identical twin sister who was joined at the pelvis and who did not develop and separate properly in the womb.
The long and risky operation began on Tuesday. Lakshmi was expected to be in the operating theatre for 40 hours, but the surgery was over within 27 hours.
Doctors said the surgery was worth the risk, saying that Lakshmi, who could not walk on her deformed limbs, would have otherwise little chance of living past adolescence.
The operation is considered extremely complicated and rare in the medical history of the country. (ANI)
- Bangalore doctors to operate an infant born with four legs - Jul 08, 2010
- Separated conjoined twins to be discharged in two weeks - May 04, 2010
- Panel to examine chances of separating conjoined twins - Jul 20, 2012
- SC pushes for surgical separation of conjoined sisters (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Conjoined Irish twins Hassan and Hussein separated by British doctors - Apr 09, 2010
- Delhi surgeons to separate conjoined twins from Bihar - Mar 31, 2010
- SC pushes for medical separation of conjoined sisters - Jul 16, 2012
- Karnataka Chief Minister meets Lakshmi - Nov 15, 2007
- Conjoined twins' family undecided on surgery - Jul 31, 2012
- Diwali gift for Lakshmi's parents, as she smiles after seeing them - Nov 14, 2007
- Hope for conjoined Patna twins after apex court ruling - Jul 19, 2012
- Lakshmi makes first public appearance after rare surgery - Nov 14, 2007
- Hyderabad's siamese twins face uncertain future - Jan 18, 2012
- Lakshmi returns home after successful operation for extra four limbs - Dec 15, 2007
- Lakshmi recognises parents, says doctor - Nov 14, 2007
Tags: deformed limbs, doctors, i am very happy, internal organs, lakshmi, laksmi, lead a normal life, little chance, medical history, momentous moment, operating theatre, patil, pelvis, risky operation, sharan, stable, twin sister, two hands, two legs, worth the risk