Knee replacement surgery performed on 92-year-oldApril 27th, 2011 - 6:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 27 (IANS) In a rare operation, a team of doctors here successfully replaced the knees of a 92-year-old man who was unable to walk after arthritis deformed both his knees.
Doctors from the Indraprastha Apollo Hospital here Tuesday said the bilateral total knee arthroplasty was carried out on S.N. Bhatt, who came all the way from Durg district in Chhattisgarh.
“We have set a leading example in India as this surgery was performed on a 92-year-old person. Bilateral knee replacement is not common in 90s. In fact, in my entire career, I had not performed this surgery. It’s one of its kind,” said Raju Vaishya, one of the doctors who carried out the operation.
Bhatt was suffering from severe pain in his knees and was unable to walk for the past two months.
“It was found that due to deformity in both knees caused by arthritis, Bhatt was unable to walk. The only option available was a total knee replacement surgery, which is not suggested to patients over 90 years and is very rarely performed.
“Apart from controlled hypertension, he didn’t have any other co-morbid problems. So, we decided to perform single stage bilateral total knee replacement surgery after discussion with the patient and his son,” added Vaishya.
Seated on a wheelchair, a frail-looking Bhatt said: “It seems I have got a new lease of life. I will be able to walk again. I am thankful to the doctors who performed the operation.”
- Chhattisgarh couple create new record for arthritic surgery - May 23, 2012
- Surgery in India helps Iraqi woman walk - Dec 08, 2011
- Surgeons conduct north India's first cartilage transplant - Nov 13, 2011
- Indian doctors among the best in world: Ansari - Aug 19, 2011
- Knee replacement surgeries take more time to conduct in overweight patients - Feb 19, 2011
- Cell therapy for athletic injuries - Oct 05, 2011
- Indian surgeons help Nigerian woman back on her feet - Sep 05, 2011
- Iraqi woman undergoes hip replacement in Delhi - Jul 06, 2011
- Indian doctors cure Iraqi's 15-year-old 'curse' - Feb 01, 2012
- Age no bar as arthritis strikes India's young (Oct 12 is World Arthritis Day) - Oct 12, 2010
- Focus on cartilage injuries at India meet - Nov 13, 2011
- Rare double hip replacement done at Noida hospital - Dec 28, 2010
- Bangalore surgeons conduct ten surgeries on a patient in one go - Aug 31, 2010
- Now, ankle replacement for arthritis patients - Jan 20, 2012
- Doctors perform India's first CT scan-based knee replacement - Jan 22, 2011
Tags: arthritis, both knees, chhattisgarh, doctors, hypertension, India, indraprastha apollo hospital, knee replacement surgery, New Delhi, new lease, old man, old person, severe pain, total knee arthroplasty, total knee replacement surgery, vaishya, wheelchair