KFC ‘Double Down’ Makes America Fat, Cries Anti-Obesity CampaignersMay 21st, 2010 - 7:19 pm ICT by GD
By Meena Kar
May 21, (THAINDIAN NEWS) The new launch from KFC - Double Down has created waves amongst the foodies and the anti-obesity campaigners alike. The sandwich, if it can be called so, does not have buns but fried chicken fillets in place of it. In the middle are two slices of cheese, two pieces of bacon. In spite of the calorie hazard and the salt, it has become the highest selling KFC product in America. The brand has come under heavy criticism by the anti-obesity campaigners but that hasn’t deterred the meat lovers from gobbling up millions of Double Downs. KFC in fact are looking forward to selling its 10 millionth Double Down later this month. Considering that it was launched on April 12 2010, Double Down has definitely won the American hearts, or at least the stomachs.
Considering the nutritional value of the Double Down from KFC, many have called it the saltiest and greasiest sandwich ever. The absence of the buns does make it greasy, but fans of the Sandwich aren’t really bothered about the oily fingers it seems. The sandwich is available in two options- the original recipe and the grilled. The original recipe double Down contains 540 calories, 32 gram fat and 1380 mg salt. The grilled one fares slightly better at 460 calories, 23 gram fat and 1430 mg Salt.
KFC started the Double Down as a limited edition Sandwich. The response of the American meat lovers has made it a regular on the menu. KFC’s plans to stop the sandwich production after the 6th week have been scrapped considering the business the Double Down is doing for the chain.
- Taste the 1,500-calorie 'latest food atrocity' burger to believe it! - Jun 23, 2010
- KFC to keep the 'Double down Sandwich' on its menu - May 21, 2010
- Burger King launches '1160-calorie Meat Monster' in Japan - Apr 13, 2011
- KFC's 'Double Down' burger to be sold in New Zealand - May 10, 2011
- KFC's Gamble On The 'Double Down' Is Working Rather Effectively - May 21, 2010
- Bill Clinton Stars on 'Rachael Ray' Show - Sep 20, 2011
- Burger King to launch 'Pizza Burger' with 2,520-calorie! - Aug 23, 2010
- KFC in sexism row over 'obnoxious' sales promotion - Sep 23, 2010
- Summer best time to shed weight - Apr 04, 2012
- KFC pulls fish sandwich ad campaign using Obama look-alike - Feb 04, 2011
- 'Stop grazing, exercising and eat fatty foods' to lose those pounds! - Nov 08, 2010
- UK restaurants, company canteens to put calorie counts on their menus - Feb 19, 2011
- Your popular snack could be making you ill: Study - Mar 30, 2012
- Burger King's NY Pizza Burger is waistline buster at 2,520 calories - Aug 19, 2010
- KFC ad in China has Obama look-alike promoting new fish sandwich - Feb 02, 2011
Tags: american hearts, american meat, bacon, buns, calories, campaigners, chicken fillets, double downs, foodies, fried chicken, kar, launch, limited edition, meat lovers, millionth, nutritional value, obesity, original recipe, stomachs, two pieces