Karnataka swine flu toll rises to 83September 24th, 2009 - 12:27 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Sep 24 (IANS) With three new swine flu deaths being reported in Karnataka, the death toll due to the H1N1 virus in the state reached 83, a health official said here Thursday.
While two men succumbed to swine flu in Bangalore, the third case was that of a five-year-old girl from Udupi.
Bangalore’s fatalities included a 37-year-old man who was admitted to a private hospital in the city Sep 17, who died Sep 19 and a 66-year-old man admitted Sep 15 to a government hospital, who succumbed to the virus on the same day.
The five year old girl who was admitted to a government hospital in Udupi died Tuesday, after she developed serious complications.
However, reports confirming that all three victims tested positive for the virus were received only Sep 23, a health official said.
Although swine flu death reports from Karnataka have been registered on a daily basis, experts say that “the worst is almost over”.
“Taking into account the ratio of suspected to positive H1N1 virus cases, we can say that swine flu related death cases are declining in the state. We believe the worst is almost over,” I.R. Perumal, principal secretary for health, told IANS.
“People should immediately check with doctors if they have any swine flu like symptoms. According to our observation of death cases due to H1N1 virus, we’ve found that delay in treatment of the disease and administration of Tamiflu are the primary reasons behind Karnataka’s death toll,” said Perumal.
Out of the 83 swine flu death reports in Karnataka, 61 were registered in Bangalore.
On Wednesday, 17 fresh cases tested positive for the H1N1 virus in the state. Of them, 13 were reported in Bangalore, three in Chitradurga and one in Manipal.
With this the total number of positive cases in the state reached 934.
- Two die of swine flu in Bangalore, Karnataka toll 103 - Oct 07, 2009
- Karnataka swine flu toll rises to 86 - Sep 25, 2009
- Karnataka swine flu toll rises to 100 - Oct 06, 2009
- Karnataka swine flu toll rises to 62 - Sep 13, 2009
- Nine deaths takes India's swine flu toll to 125 (Roundup) - Sep 05, 2009
- Karnataka swine flu toll rises to 44 - Sep 09, 2009
- Karnataka reports three more swine flu deaths - Sep 03, 2009
- Karnataka swine flu toll rises to 47 - Sep 10, 2009
- Woman dies of swine flu in Delhi, toll rises to 15 - Aug 13, 2010
- One dies of swine flu in Delhi - Aug 31, 2010
- Karnataka swine flu toll rises to 108 - Oct 09, 2009
- Seven swine flu deaths take India's toll to 366 (Roundup) - Oct 07, 2009
- 16 swine flu deaths raise India's toll to 188 (Lead) - Sep 13, 2009
- Swine flu spreading rapidly in Andhra, toll 20 - Aug 05, 2010
- Swine flu claims another life in Andhra Pradesh - Jun 22, 2010
Tags: bangalore, chitradurga, daily basis, death cases, death reports, death toll, flu, flu deaths, flu like symptoms, government hospital, health official, manipal, old girl, perumal, principal secretary, private hospital, swine flu, tamiflu, two men, udupi