Jimmy John’s sprouts linked to salmonella outbreakDecember 20th, 2010 - 11:00 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Illinois, Dec 20 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The Illinois Department of Public Health has commenced investigation into a salmonella outbreak in the state.
The follows the illness of almost 50 people after they ate at the famous Jimmy John’s sandwich sprout. It is suspected that the caught the potentially fatal bacteria after consuming the restaurant’s alfalfa sprout.
The authorities are conducting the investigations in conjunction with the local health authorities. It is known that when one is infected with the bacteria, it usually takes anywhere up to 72 hours to start developing the symptoms.
Symptoms of salmonella infection include diarrhea, vomiting, fever, and stomach-ache. The spread of the bacteria can however e checked with regular washing of the hand with soap. If untreated, salmonella infection can be fatally dangerous especially in people with weakened immune system. That makes people recovering from sickness and older people more vulnerable to the bacterium’s deadliest part.
The salmonella spread affected Winnebago, McHenry,Cook, Will, Kankakee, Champaign, Adams, Peoria, and McLean. Since the outbreak on the first day of November, about 46 people have been left sick by the bacteria.
Authorities say they will concentrate their investigation on the alfalfa sprouts at the eatery.
- 89 fall ill in US salmonella outbreak - Dec 25, 2010
- Egg Recall Raises Concern About Salmonella Infection - Aug 19, 2010
- Alfalfa Sprout Recall Issued In All US States - May 23, 2010
- Alfalfa sprouts being recalled because of salmonella outbreak - May 23, 2010
- Four die from Listeria outbreak in Colorado - Sep 15, 2011
- Del Monte announce a cantaloupe recall - Mar 25, 2011
- Russia may ban German meat imports - Jun 22, 2011
- Salmonella biggest food-borne threat to US - Jun 08, 2011
- Symptoms Of Salmonella Being Scrupulously Studied By Anxious Citizens Of America - Aug 19, 2010
- Pet food recall expanded due to fear of salmonella contamination - Aug 03, 2010
- Ebola claims three more lives in DR Congo, raising death toll to 14 - Sep 06, 2012
- Spacebound bacteria inspire earthly remedies - Mar 22, 2011
- Salmonella alert over raw bean sprouts - Oct 08, 2010
- Probiotic can't help in diarrhoea caused by Salmonella - Apr 20, 2010
- E.coli, salmonella target ripening fruits - Mar 26, 2012
Tags: alfalfa sprouts, bacteria, bacterium, champaign, conjunction, department of public health, diarrhea, fever and stomach ache, health authorities, illinois department of public health, investigations, kankakee, local health, salmonella infection, salmonella outbreak, sandwich, soap, symptoms of salmonella, weakened immune system, winnebago