Jharkhand bans sale, manufacturing of gutkaJuly 24th, 2012 - 7:30 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, July 24 (IANS) The Jharkhand government Tuesday banned manufacture, storage, distribution and sale of ‘gutka’ (tobacco-laced areca nut pieces) in the state, said an official.
The Jharkhand cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Arjun Munda took the decision to ban ‘gutka’.
“Cancer cases are on the rise and of the total cancer cases, 25 per cent are related to mouth cancer. The state cabinet has agreed to ban manufacturing, storage, distribution and sale of tobacco and nicotine based gutka and pan masala,” said Jharkhand Cabinet Secretary N.N. Pandey told reporters here after the cabinet meeting.
Health Minister Hemlal Murmu said: “From today (Tuesday) gutka and pan masala have been banned. We will ensure that the ban is implemented strictly in the state.”
Several states in India have already banned manufacture and sale of both gutka and pan masala, a betel nut preparation laced with chewing tobacco or other substances.
The Jharkhand cabinet also approved Rs.360 crore to provide 35 kg food grain at rate of Rs.1 a kg per month to each of the 14.76 lakh Below Povert Line (BPL) families in the state.
- Punjab bans gutka, pan masala - Aug 27, 2012
- Haryana bans gutka, pan masala from Aug 15 - Jul 20, 2012
- Parrikar too was hooked onto gutka - Aug 07, 2012
- Rajasthan bans gutka, plans fines up to Rs.10 lakh - Jul 18, 2012
- Gutka ban welcome, needs to be effective, say Delhiites - Sep 11, 2012
- Himachal defers ban on gutka till October - Jul 17, 2012
- Bombay HC upholds ban on gutka, pan masala - Sep 17, 2012
- Whistleblowers with a difference - on 'clean Shimla' mission (Letter from Shimla) - Aug 14, 2012
- Himachal bans gutkha, paan masala - Jul 13, 2012
- Madhya Pradesh bans tobacco-mixed 'gutka' - Apr 01, 2012
- No sale of gutka, pan masala in pouches from March 2011 - Dec 07, 2010
- We Need A Lifetime Of No Tobacco, And Not Merely A Day - May 28, 2010
- Check tobacco promotion, sales: Voluntary group to FSSAI - Jun 20, 2012
- Supreme Court refuses to lift ban on tobacco sachets (Lead) - Apr 14, 2011
- Chewing tobacco joins 'banned foods' as oral cancer cases rise - Sep 02, 2011
Tags: arjun munda, betel nut, cabinet meeting, cabinet secretary, cancer cases, chewing tobacco, chief minister, crore, food grain, gutka, health minister, jharkhand government, lakh, mouth cancer, pan masala, ranchi, rs 1, state cabinet, states in india, storage distribution