Jaipur Foot to help sports star who lost legApril 17th, 2011 - 8:27 pm ICT by IANS
Jaipur, April 17 (IANS) Internationally acclaimed artificial limbs provider, Jaipur’s Bhagwan Mahaveer Viklang Sahayata Samiti (BMVSS), has volunteered to help sports star Arunima “Sonu” Sinha, who lost her leg after being pushed out of a running train.
D.R. Mehta, founder and patron of the BMVSS, said the Samiti has decided to equip Arunima Sinha with the Jaipur Foot free of cost.
Sinha, 23, a national-level sportswoman from Uttar Pradesh, lost her leg after robbers pushed her out from the Padmavat Express near Bareilly April 11 when she resisted their attempt.
Her left leg had to be amputated because of the injuries. She is currently being treated at a Bareily hospital.
“The Samiti would provide free boarding and lodging to Arunima and her family members. We will also bear the cost of their travel to Jaipur,” Mehta said Sunday.
The BMVSS is at present trying to contact Sinha’s family.
According to Mehta, the BMVSS has so far fitted 1.2 million people with artificial limbs, calipers and other appliances free of cost, enabling them to get mobility and dignity.
The BMVSS has so held camps in Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iraq, Senegal, Lebanon and Rwanda to help people injured in wars and ethnic conflicts.
- Rajiv Gandhi Sadbhavana award for D.R. Mehta - Aug 04, 2012
- Iraqi amputees to wear Jaipur Foot - Mar 15, 2010
- Jaipur foot for Sri Lankan amputees - Mar 12, 2010
- Indian experts in Sri Lanka with Jaipur Foot (Lead) - Mar 12, 2010
- Jaipur NGO holds limb fitment camp in Iraq - Apr 25, 2010
- Iraqi nationals learn to make 'Jaipur Foot' - Sep 23, 2010
- Attacked sportswoman undergoes another amputation - Apr 17, 2011
- Sonia seeks action in Assam violence, northeastern people's mistreatment (Lead) - Aug 19, 2012
- Injured Arunima's condition now stable, say doctors (Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- Arunima recovering, mother thanks AIIMS - Apr 21, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh offers job to injured Arunima - Apr 18, 2011
- Arunima incident: PMO seeks report from Railway Ministry - Apr 15, 2011
- Arunima shifted to AIIMS Trauma Centre - Apr 18, 2011
- Railways offer to give best treatment to Arunima - Apr 14, 2011
- Injured Arunima's condition stable, say doctors - Apr 19, 2011
Tags: afghanistan iraq, artificial limbs, arunima, bareilly, bhagwan, calipers, dignity, ethnic conflicts, family members, left leg, mahaveer, mehta, patron, robbers, rwanda, senegal, sinha, sonu, sports star, sportswoman