Italians to conduct heart surgeries for Dubai kidsJanuary 13th, 2012 - 11:38 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, Jan 13 (IANS/WAM) A team of specialist doctors from Italy will perform free heart surgeries for children and teenagers of Dubai in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) in February.
The Italian team from San Donato Hospital in Milan will be in Dubai from Feb 18 to 26. They will be helped by doctors from the Dubai Health Authority (DHA).
The programme is part of an initiative by the DHA and the Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Humanitarian and Charity Establishment.
The DHA will cover the cost of surgery for UAE children and the charity organisation will bear the cost for expatriates.
Obaid Al Jassim, head of the cardiothoracic surgery department at Dubai Hospital, said: “The programme to conduct free heart surgeries began in October 2008, and as part of this humanitarian initiative, so far we have conducted 250 surgeries for children with congenital heart disease, from newborns to 19 years.”
In June 2011, the doctors from Milan performed a complicated life-saving surgery, known as “arterial switch” on a 12-day-old infant.
- UAE to launch campaign to raise donations for Yemen - Jun 21, 2012
- UN chief visits Dubai - Nov 13, 2011
- UAE charity sends emergency aid to Somalia - Sep 07, 2011
- UAE charity distributes Iftar meals in Gaza - Aug 17, 2010
- Libya's NTC thanks UAE charity - Sep 28, 2011
- Dubai ruler orders release of 334 prisoners - Nov 03, 2011
- UAE's RCA distributes sacrificial animals in Syria - Nov 07, 2011
- UAE donates $5 mn to US clinic - Jan 31, 2012
- Free heart surgeries camp for poor in Sharjah - Mar 09, 2012
- Abu Dhabhi girls to attend training programme in Scotland - Jul 03, 2011
- UAE charity group holds iftar in 19 countries - Jul 29, 2012
- UAE charity launches health project in Mali, Sierra Leone - Jul 13, 2010
- Dubai charity donates for refugees on Libya border - Apr 05, 2011
- Heart disease awareness campaign begins in Dubai - Apr 14, 2012
- Maradona leaves Dubai hospital after surgery - Jan 17, 2012
Tags: al jassim, arterial switch, bin rashid al maktoum, cardiothoracic surgery, charity organisation, complicated life, congenital heart disease, free heart, heart surgeries, humanitarian initiative, italian team, mohammed bin rashid, mohammed bin rashid al maktoum, obaid, rashid al maktoum, sheikh mohammed bin rashid, sheikh mohammed bin rashid al maktoum, specialist doctors, surgery department, united arab emirates