Innovative liver surgery saves 2-year-old Omani girlJuly 4th, 2012 - 12:30 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 3 (IANS) A two-year-old Omani girl suffering from acute liver failure was literally given a new slice of life by Chennai doctors through an innovative procedure called auxiliary liver transplant.
Prior to her operation, Yasmin faced coma and eventual death.
Airlifted to Chennai and referred to liver specialist Naresh Shanmugam of the city’s Global Health City hospital, Yasmin was suffering from brain swelling, blood coagulopathy, very high ammonia and jaundice.
Instead of removing her own liver and performing a full transplant, the doctors transplanted a slice of her uncle’s liver. London based specialist Mohamed Rela, who pioneered this technique -which uses the organ’s self-regenerative properties - at London’s Kings College hospital, performed the 10 hour surgery on April 21.
According to the doctors, within next four days, the transplanted slice of liver gained some functionality.
“(If) a small portion of donor liver could be transplanted alongside the native liver; this transplanted liver would work as a temporary dialysis machine,” said Shanmugam.
“When the native liver regenerates after few months time, the transplanted liver dies. The patient could (then) live with their own liver in a healthy manner,” he added.
He expressed hope that Yasmin’s liver would resume full functionality in another six months.
–Indo-Asian News service
- Deshmukh died of cardiac failure: Doctor - Aug 14, 2012
- Two Sri Lankan families swap livers for transplant - Jun 07, 2011
- Marathon liver transplant saves three toddlers (with Images) - Jan 17, 2012
- Obesity key cause of liver problem in India - Sep 18, 2010
- Sathya Sai Baba's condition shows signs of improvement - Apr 11, 2011
- Deshmukh critical, family forbids health bulletin (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Global Hospitals to invest Rs.200 crore - Jun 11, 2010
- Deshmukh still critical - Aug 08, 2012
- Chennai doctors closely monitoring Deshmukh's condition - Aug 07, 2012
- Liver transplant in India saves Yemeni boy - Jul 27, 2012
- Stem cells from skin, blood regenerate faltering liver - May 12, 2011
- 'Lack of organ donors affecting liver transplants' - Jan 19, 2012
- Mohanlal expresses wish to donate his organs - Jul 21, 2012
- Pakistani kid gets liver transplant in India - Nov 04, 2011
- Eight-month-old gets liver transplant from father - Oct 04, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,