Infant dies after removal from Punjab hospital incubator, probe orderedJuly 26th, 2012 - 8:36 pm ICT by IANS
Jalandhar/Chandigarh, July 26 (IANS) Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal Thursday ordered a high-level probe after the parents of a newborn alleged that their child died in the civil hospital in Jalandhar after hospital staff removed her from the incubator for non-payment of an amount of just Rs.200.
The parents of the infant girl, Anita and Sanjeev Kumar, alleged Thursday that their child died Wednesday evening, just hours after the staff of the civil hospital’s paediatrics ward removed her from the incubator.
They alleged that the staff had asked them to deposit a fee of Rs.200 for the incubator which they could not do immediately.
“They took the child out of the incubator and even stopped giving her any other treatment. She died Wednesday evening,” Sanjeev Kumar told media in Jalandhar, 150 km from Chandigarh.
The girl child was born July 21 and suffered complications due to jaundice.
Badal ordered a high-level inquiry to look into the allegations of negligence against the hospital staff which led to the death of the girl.
The Punjab government constituted a high level committee comprising Additional Deputy Commissioner Parneet Bhardwaj, Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM) Sumeet, Civil Surgeon R.L. Bassan, and medical officers Sangeeta Kapoor and Jaswinder Kaur. The committee has been directed to submit a report within three days to the government.
State Health minister Madan Mohan Mittal also directed Director, Health Services Karanjit Singh to probe the matter.
“I am shocked if this has happened. We have ordered a probe into the matter. Such incidents cannot be tolerated,” Mittal told media in Chandigarh.
- After infant's death over Rs 200, Punjab makes neo-natal services free - Jul 27, 2012
- Action against Punjab health officials for infant's death - Aug 17, 2012
- Punjab villager ends treetop protest, touches ground again - May 14, 2011
- Jalandhar girl's suicide: Woman police officer suspended - Aug 31, 2012
- Punjab jail riot leaves one dead - Nov 21, 2011
- Worker rescued 55 hours after Jalandhar factory collapse - Apr 18, 2012
- Rescuers struggle to save buried workers in Punjab (Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- Moral policing and media overzealousness cost a young life (Punjab Newsletter) - Sep 14, 2012
- Punjab get injured African student airlifted - Aug 05, 2012
- Hopes recede of finding survivors in collapsed Punjab factory (Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Badal announces Rs 5 lakh assistance for African in coma (Third Lead) - Jul 07, 2012
- Punjab hooch deaths rise to 18 - Oct 29, 2010
- 11 EVMs replaced in Punjab after tampering complaint - Jan 30, 2012
- Badal government's lone woman minister convicted, jailed (Roundup) - Mar 30, 2012
- Four labourers buried under mound of earth in Haryana - May 17, 2012
Tags: badal, bassan, chandigarh, chief minister, civil surgeon, deputy commissioner, girl child, government state, health minister, hospital staff, infant girl, jaswinder kaur, level probe, madan mohan, medical officers, paediatrics, punjab government, rs 200, sanjeev kumar, wednesday evening