Indian turmeric powder yields its healing secretsApril 20th, 2009 - 6:16 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, April 20 (IANS) Tumeric power, a spice regarded as auspicious and anticeptic in India, has finally yielded its healing secrets, according to scientists.
Ayyalusamy Ramamoorthy, professor of biophysics, University of Michigan, who conducted the study along with colleagues, pointed out that turmeric has been used for centuries in Indian folk medicine to treat wounds, infections and other health problems.
Although modern scientific research on the spice has burgeoned in recent years, scientists until now did not know exactly how curcumin works inside the body.
Using a high-tech instrument termed solid-state nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, scientists discovered that molecules of curcumin, a component of tumeric powder, act like a biochemical disciplinarian.
They insert themselves into cell membranes and make the membranes more stable and orderly in a way that increases cells’ resistance to infection by disease-causing microbes, said a Michigan release.
Ramamoorthy did his Ph.D in chemistry from the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, in 1990.
Their study on tumeric ingredient, curcumin, appeared in the Journal of the American Chemical Society, a weekly publication.
- Secret behind turmeric's healing power revealed - Apr 20, 2009
- Indian American scientist tracks turmeric's curative element - Mar 07, 2009
- Why ''Holy powder'' turmeric is a panacea for all ills - Mar 07, 2009
- Indian-American explores how ageing impacts bones - Dec 03, 2009
- Tumeric derivative found promising in tendinitis - Aug 11, 2011
- Turmeric compound shows promise in Parkinson's - Mar 21, 2012
- Turmeric may help walking ability in spinal injuries - Jun 27, 2012
- Curry powder turmeric could provide recipe for fight against cancer - Sep 30, 2010
- Turmeric can help fight cancer - Oct 28, 2009
- New hybrid drug, derived from turmeric, may benefit stroke victims - Feb 10, 2011
- Nano-capsule to boost person's absorption of curcumin - Nov 16, 2009
- Turmeric-based drug being tested against Alzheimer's - Feb 15, 2012
- Drug from Indian spice builds brain cells after stroke - Feb 10, 2011
- How antiviral drugs block flu virus - Feb 04, 2010
- Turmeric helps fight cancer - Sep 30, 2010
Tags: american chemical society, cell membranes, centuries, disciplinarian, folk medicine, health problems, indian institute of technology, indian institute of technology kanpur, indian turmeric, institute of technology, journal of the american chemical society, microbes, molecules, nmr spectroscopy, nuclear magnetic resonance, solid state, spice, turmeric powder, university of michigan, wounds