Indian systems of medicine to be mainstreamedApril 9th, 2010 - 5:27 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 9 (IANS) The government is making all efforts to mainstream Indian systems of medicine - Ayush (ayurveda, yoga and naturopathy, unani, siddha and homoeopathy) - through quality control and holistic medical education, Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare S. Gandhiselvan Friday said.
“The National Rural Health Mission (NRHM) is the main vehicle to achieve the goal. The NRHM seeks to open up local health tradition and mainstream Ayush including the manpower and drugs and to strengthen the public health system,” Gandhiselvan said at a conference here.
He also said that the ministry is mulling to start a medical facility combining western medicine and Indian system of medicine to provide holistic medical treatment.
Emphasising the need for quality control, Gandhiselvan said that Quality Council of India, an autonomous body set up by the ministry to promote quality, has been deputed to develop voluntary certification systems covering AYUSH products and medicinal plants.
- Ayurveda, unani to be promoted through rural health scheme - Feb 10, 2012
- Quality certificate for ayurvedic medicines - Aug 30, 2011
- Indian traditional medicine gets pharmacopoeia commission (Lead) - May 13, 2010
- 80 Ayurveda colleges denied permission to admit students - Aug 24, 2012
- Standards for AYUSH medical colleges to be raised - May 10, 2011
- Medicinal plants export from India jumps 137 percent - Aug 08, 2012
- India for global recognition of Ayurveda, Unani - Aug 08, 2012
- Rs.9.2 bn to promote Indian systems of medicine - Nov 20, 2009
- Panel slams rural health scheme implementation - Mar 24, 2011
- India wins patent dispute against China for flu medicine - Aug 06, 2010
- Karnataka to set up yoga and naturopathy council - Feb 12, 2012
- Tripura awarded for tele-homoeopathy - Nov 23, 2011
- Yoga, homoeopathy to be integrated with healthcare in UP - Sep 17, 2012
- Karnataka to provide Indian medicine at hospitals - Feb 10, 2012
- Homeopathic drug may prevent swine flu - Jul 10, 2010
Tags: autonomous body, ayurveda, education minister, family welfare, homoeopathy, local health, medical education, medical facility, medical treatment, medicinal plants, minister of state, national rural health, national rural health mission, naturopathy, nrhm, public health system, quality council of india, siddha, voluntary certification, western medicine