Indian plant may be effect ulcer treatmentNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:49 am ICT by admin
The Indian team’s remedy provides gastroprotection against swim / alcohol stress induced ulcers in experimental animal models and down-regulation of activated H+, K+-ATPase in the stomach tissue, that leads to acidity.
The olysaccharide also normalises oxidative stress and oxidative stress induced damage to the stomach tissue, and antioxidant enzymes which necessitate the management of oxidative stress generated during gastric ulceration, along with recovery of damaged mucosal epithelium, which can safeguard the stomach tissue by preventing the entry of an ulcerogenic, such as Helicobacter pylori.
The identified polysaccharide also exhibited potent antioxidant activity, including free radical scavenging, DNA protection, and inhibition of growth of Helicobacter pylori in vitro, confirming the ability of the polysaccharide in inhibiting various steps of gastric ulceration directly.
The researchers concluded that a bioactive polysaccharide from swallow root, with defined sugar composition and phenolic antioxidant, exhibited multi-potent free radical scavenging antioxidant, anti-H. pylori, inhibition of H+, K+-ATPase and gastric mucosal protective activities. Swallow root has been shown to be non-toxic, as opposed to other known anti-ulcer drugs.
The report appears in the World Journal of Gastroenterology. (ANI)
- Probiotic to treat ulcers identified - Feb 25, 2011
- Corkscrew shape key to gut bug's survival - May 28, 2010
- Coming soon, sugar-based jab against stomach bug - Apr 19, 2011
- Antibiotics can prevent gastric cancer - Mar 13, 2010
- H. pylori's twisted shape allows it to infect gut - May 28, 2010
- Gastric bug H. pylori protects against asthma - Jul 03, 2011
- Vaccine to prevent gastritis, ulcer disease, gastric cancer on the anvil - Feb 03, 2011
- Gastric bug genome sequenced - Jun 17, 2010
- Scientists uncover gut bug link to type 2 diabetes - Mar 14, 2012
- Gut bug may cause development of Parkinson's - May 23, 2011
- Kids with H. pylori infection have lower levels of iron - Mar 08, 2011
- Common gut bug 'fights Salmonella-induced inflammatory bowel disease' - Nov 02, 2010
- Personality disorders raise risk of ulcers - Oct 03, 2010
- Can flu infections prevent asthma? - Dec 14, 2010
- Cancer-causing H. pylori bug spurs cell death - Nov 02, 2011
Tags: antioxidant enzymes, atpase, experimental animal models, free radical, gastric ulceration, h pylori, helicobacter pylori, inhibition, mucosal epithelium, oxidative stress, polysaccharide, scavenging, stomach tissue, sugar composition, swallow, ulcer drugs, ulcers, world journal of gastroenterology