Indian Olympic athletes appeal to root out polioAugust 2nd, 2012 - 9:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 2 (IANS) With no new polio case reported in the country for more than a year, Indian Olympic athletes Thursday appealed to parents to get their children vaccinated in time in a bid to root out the disease forever.
“This Close”, a polio eradication campaign by Rotary, involves more than a dozen Indian Olympic athletes including members of the boxing, weightlifting and wrestling teams.
As per Rotary, India is on the brink of wiping out polio, all that is needed is a “strong push” to root it out once and for all and Olympics is the apt platform to spread this message.
Wrestler Sushil Kumar, in a message from London, appealed to parents to get their children vaccinated on time.
“In 1988, 500 children were getting affected by polio in India every day. Today, our country is reaching steadily toward eradication of polio. We need your help to win this fight,” he said.
“Polio vaccine can save a child from polio paralysis. Let us ensure that children are not paralysed by giving them the vital drops,” said boxer Vijender Singh in his message.
Rotary International is a partner of the Global Polio Eradication Initiative comprising of WHO, UNICEF and Rotary.
India was removed from WHO’s polio endemic list on Feb 25 this year after completing over a year without reporting any case of polio.
After achieving the milestone of non-polio endemic nation, India needs to maintain the status for another two years to be certified polio-free by the WHO.
- Polio funds get a boost in India: Rotary International - Feb 10, 2012
- 'Ensure regular vaccination to make India polio free' - Feb 23, 2012
- A year of no polio: India triumphs, but risks remains (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- A year of no polio: India triumphs, but risks remains - Jan 11, 2012
- Polio-free Southeast Asia within reach: WHO - Sep 05, 2012
- Indian firm joins Nigeria's polio battle (With Images) - Feb 23, 2012
- 'Getting rid of polio can save $2 trillion' - Feb 26, 2012
- Pakistani daily lauds India for no polio cases in 2011 - Jan 14, 2012
- Spread awareness about polio: Minister to Bengal religious leaders - Jun 16, 2012
- Community mobilisers inch closer towards making India polio-free - Jan 31, 2011
- Japan gives 120 mn yen grant to fight polio - Mar 26, 2012
- India faces polio threat from Pakistan: Minister - Dec 20, 2011
- Muslim clerics join hands for polio eradication in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 28, 2011
- India to support global polio eradication: Azad - Feb 26, 2012
- In Uttar Pradesh bylanes, children help fight polio - Feb 03, 2011
Tags: aug 2, boxer, brink, global polio eradication, london, milestone, nation india, New Delhi, olympic athletes, olympics, paralysis, parents, polio, polio eradication initiative, polio vaccine, rotary international, sushil kumar, unicef, weightlifting