India to send more medical aid to Sri LankaMay 18th, 2009 - 7:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 18 (IANS) With thousands of Tamil civilians in war-torn Sri Lanka needing immediate medical care, India will soon be sending more medical aid to the island nation, an official said Monday.
An Indian Air Force transport aircraft will leave for Sri Lanka Friday carrying medical aid.
“An IL-76 aircraft carrying about 25 tonnes of medicines will leave for Colombo on May 22. This will be disbursed to the sick and wounded internally displaced people in northern Sri Lanka,” an Indian Air Force official said.
The Indian Army has already set up a fully equipped 50-bed hospital close to a camp for the displaced at Pulmodai, a town on Sri Lanka’s north-east coast. The army’s 60-member medical team comprising specialists, surgeons and paediatricians have treated over 3,000 people, mainly war wounded, trauma and fracture cases in the past two months since the hospital came up.
“Acting on a request from the Sri Lankan government, the Field Hospital will soon be shifted to Manik Farms in Vavuniya to widen the scope of the humanitarian assistance,” the official added.
A need was felt for including a gynaecologist in the team of doctors but experts said that since the Field Hospital lacks specialized medical equipment and support staff, this would not be feasible at the moment. A lady Medical Officer in the team was capable of handling routine problems related to women patients.
The Sri Lankan war against the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) has resulted in the displacement of millions of people creating a humanitarian crisis of huge proportions.
- India assures Lanka's displaced Tamils of help in resettlement - Aug 31, 2010
- Will get Sri Lankan Tamils their rights: Jayalalithaa - Aug 11, 2011
- Krishna brings healing touch to Tamils (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Joint parliamentary panel begins goodwill visit to Lanka - Apr 16, 2012
- IAF flies medical team, aid to Sri Lanka - May 22, 2009
- Mathai raises issue of Tamil fishermen with Sri Lanka - Oct 10, 2011
- Demining: US official in Sri Lanka (With Image) - May 02, 2012
- Indian medical team in Sri Lanka next week - Mar 06, 2009
- India to finance major harbour in Sri Lanka (Lead) - May 08, 2011
- EU raises humanitarian assistance to Sri Lanka - May 08, 2011
- Krishna wins Sri Lankan Tamil hearts with rehabilitation aid - Jan 19, 2012
- India funds railway line in Sri Lanka - Nov 21, 2011
- India for probe into rights abuses in Sri Lanka (Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- Krishna likely to open strategic Jaffna, Hambantota consulates in Oct end - Oct 05, 2010
- Sri Lankan refugees return from India - Oct 12, 2011
Tags: care india, civilians in war, gynaecologist, humanitarian crisis, immediate medical care, indian air force, indian army, island nation, lankan war, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, medical aid, medical team, northern sri lanka, paediatricians, routine problems, sri lankan government, tamil civilians, transport aircraft, vavuniya