India to screen entire population for cancer, heart ailmentDecember 13th, 2011 - 2:04 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 13 (IANS) India will be the only country in the world to screen its entire 125 crore population for prevention of cancer and some other non-communicable diseases in the next five years, Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad told the Rajya Sabha Tuesday.
Azad said that the government has already launched a pilot project across 100 districts in 21 states for prevention and control of cancer, cardio-vascular diseases, stroke, and diabetes.
“India will be the first country that will screen its entire population for these diseases. The equipment for screening will be provided by the union health ministry besides chemotherapy of 100 patients per district at a cost of Rs.100,000,” he said.
According to the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), India currently has 27 lakh cancer patients while 11 lakh new cancer cases are reported every year.
- Prevention of non-communicable diseases priority: Azad - Mar 16, 2011
- ICMR to develop affordable diabetes test strip: Azad - Nov 08, 2011
- 50 mn Indians to be screened for diabetes - Jul 19, 2011
- Over 50 percent deaths from non-communicable diseases: Azad - Sep 08, 2011
- India fighting against non-communicable diseases: Azad - Sep 20, 2011
- Focusing on rural areas for non-communicable diseases: Azad - Aug 23, 2011
- Cardiovascular diseases to cause most deaths by 2020: Azad - Sep 28, 2011
- Need to tackle monumental challenge of non-communicable diseases: Azad - Nov 17, 2011
- To combat 'silent killers', India to conduct survey - Aug 12, 2012
- Health group to map non-communicable diseases - Oct 09, 2011
- Diabetes awareness campaign launched in Delhi slums - Jun 29, 2011
- Harsher cancer warning on tobacco products in the offing - May 25, 2011
- WHO expands steps to fight non-communicable diseases - Apr 25, 2012
- Health Minister Azad inaugurates centenary celebrations of ICMR - Nov 15, 2010
- Pushing for cheap diabetes diagnostic methods: Azad - Nov 15, 2010
Tags: cancer cases, cancer patients, chemotherapy, crore, diabetes, ghulam nabi azad, health minister, health ministry, heart ailment, icmr india, lakh, medical research, New Delhi, next five years, non communicable diseases, pilot project, prevention, rajya sabha, stroke, vascular diseases