India, China account for 45 percent multi-drug resistant TBAugust 27th, 2010 - 10:01 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 27 (IANS) India and China account for about 45 percent of Multi-Drug Resistant (MDR) TB cases globally, the Lok Sabha was informed Friday.
In a written reply, Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad said as per Multi-Drug Extensively Drug Resistant TB 2010 Global Report on Surveillance and Response of World Health Organisation, it is estimated that India and China together account for about 45 percent of MDR TB cases globally.
He said in terms of numbers, out of 440,000 cases of MDR-TB occurring world over, India and China contribute an estimated 99,000 and 100,000 cases, respectively.
Azad said under the Revised National Tuberculosis Control Programme, DOTS plus services for the diagnosis and management of MDR-TB are presently available in 10 states and 2,300 MDR TB patients have been placed on treatment.
He also said that 10 laboratories have been accredited for quality assured culture and drug sensitivity testing.
The minister also said they are planning to provide the MDR TB services in all states and accreditation of 25 more laboratories by the end of 2010-11.
- Cabinet approves scaling up services of management of drug resistant tuberculosis - Mar 03, 2011
- 'Time to scale up work on TB control' - Jan 24, 2012
- TB causing half million annual deaths in South-East Asia: WHO - Mar 22, 2012
- Central team to probe drug resistant TB cases in Mumbai - Jan 17, 2012
- 90-minute TB test not a game changer for India - Aug 29, 2011
- Global Fund approves TB funding for government and civil society led proposal in India - Dec 07, 2009
- Berlin 2010: TB, HIV and Lung Health: From research and innovation to solutions - Nov 02, 2010
- Awareness programmes mark World Tuberculosis Day in Delhi - Mar 24, 2011
- Multi-drug resistant TB on the rise in Australia - Sep 20, 2009
- Online course in tuberculosis treatment launched - Oct 15, 2009
- No drug-resistant TB case in India: Expert team - Jan 20, 2012
- WHO calls for dealing with multi-drug resistant microbes - Apr 07, 2011
- Faster body metabolism renders TB drugs ineffective - Jan 04, 2012
- 36 mln people with TB cured, eight mln lives saved since 1995 - Dec 09, 2009
- WHO calls for urgent action against tuberculosis - Apr 01, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,