In Lucknow, doctors write out anti-graft messageAugust 20th, 2011 - 1:09 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Aug 20 (IANS) Doctors in this Uttar Pradesh capital are expressing solidarity with social activist Anna Hazare in a novel way - they are printing pro-Anna messages on their prescriptions and diagnostic reports.
Under the banner of Lucknow Association of Practicing Pathologists and Microbiologists (LAPPM), doctors in the city have been getting messages like “We support Anna Hazare, we support Jan Lokpal Bill” printed at the bottom of their prescriptions and reports.
“Hundreds of private doctors attached with the association and also those working with nursing homes in the city have taken up the unique way to support Hazare and his anti-graft campaign,” LAPPM president P.K. Gupta told reporters Saturday.
“Doctors too want to vent ire against corruption and support Anna Hazare. However, considering the nature of our job, we cannot boycott work or participate in sit-ins for a long period as it would adversely affect our patients. Therefore, the association has come up with a way that enables the doctors to lend support to Hazare without hampering their work,” he added.
LAPPM members are of the view that the messages printed in support of Hazare on prescriptions will sensitise people against corruption.
“We believe that the messages on prescriptions and reports would not only be read by the patients but also by their families. Therefore, with a single message several people would get connected with our drive,” said Gupta.
“We would continue with the drive till we get an assurance from the central government about implementing the civil society’s version of the Lokpal bill,” he added.
LAPPM members have also initiated SMS campaigns to solicit support for Hazare’s crusade against corruption.
Meanwhile, people from various walks of life continued to converge on the Jhulelal Park - the main site in Lucknow for holding programmes in support of Hazare.
“Be it kids, youths or elders, people across various age groups have been assembling at the park to show solidarity with Anna Hazare,” R.K Agarwal, a member of India Against Corruption (IAC), which is backing Hazare, told reporters.
- Lucknow teachers on mass leave to support Hazare - Aug 18, 2011
- We are with Hazare, say activists in Uttar Pradesh - Apr 07, 2011
- Lucknow celebrates as Hazare leaves Tihar Jail - Aug 19, 2011
- Hazare attracts young, old across Uttar Pradesh - Aug 19, 2011
- Support for Anna swells in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 15, 2011
- Activists in Lucknow lend support to Ramdev's fast - Jun 04, 2011
- Anna supporters hold Roza Iftar in Lucknow - Aug 24, 2011
- Hazare's supporters on the Ganga too - Aug 22, 2011
- Hazare to address meeting in Lucknow May 1 - Apr 16, 2011
- Lucknow supports Hazare with fasts, processions - Apr 08, 2011
- Celebrations in Lucknow as Anna ends fast - Apr 09, 2011
- Activists in Lucknow support Hazare's campaign - Apr 06, 2011
- Groundswell of support for Anna visible in Uttar Pradesh (Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Trade unions, scribes come out in Hazare's support - Aug 24, 2011
- Anna supporters ask PM to contest polls - Aug 27, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,