Immune system protein may act as early warning system for lung cancerNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:02 am ICT by admin
They tested for autoantibodies, an immune system protein directed at the body’s own tissues in response to specific chemical signals in the body.
They looked specifically for a panel of seven autoantibodies, which are associated with ’solid tumours,’ such as lung, breast, ovarian, and prostate cancers, and triggered when cancerous changes take place.
The analysis showed the presence of all the seven autoantibodies, and very high levels of at least one of the seven in almost eight out of 10 samples taken from patients with confirmed lung cancer.
The autoantibodies were found in eight out of the nine patients whose cancer had not infiltrated the lymph nodes, body’s gatekeepers.
The results indicated that the disease had not yet extended elsewhere and offered 80 percent chances of cure and only one healthy volunteer had more than one of the autoantibodies in their blood.
The study is published in the journal Thorax. (ANI)
- Super vaccine could knock out 70 percent of cancers - Dec 13, 2011
- New cancer vaccine Out - May 03, 2010
- Potent anticancer drug isolated from weed - Jul 10, 2012
- COPD could be an auto-immunity problem - Nov 20, 2010
- Herpes virus helps treat cancer patients - Aug 03, 2010
- Prostate cancer cells more likely to spread with specific gene function loss - Feb 03, 2010
- 'Allergies linked to lower risk of brain tumours' - Aug 06, 2012
- Men with asthma and eczema 'at reduced cancer risk' - May 12, 2010
- Molecular predictor of metastatic prostate cancer identified - Feb 03, 2011
- High level of testosterone may speed up prostate cancer - Jul 31, 2012
- Novel imaging technique may cut lymphedema in breast cancer patients - Dec 12, 2010
- Melanoma spreads to lungs using body's immune system - Oct 08, 2010
- Oestrogen therapy 'causes ovarian cancer to grow five times faster' - Oct 21, 2010
- Dogs can sniff out prostate cancer in urine samples - Feb 08, 2011
- This jab could revolutionise cancer treatment - Apr 15, 2011
Tags: autoantibodies, blood samples, cancerous changes, chemical signals, early warning system, gatekeepers, immune system protein, journal thorax, lymph nodes, prostate cancers, tissues, types of lung cancer