Huge response for Meerut polio rallyJanuary 22nd, 2011 - 11:29 pm ICT by IANS
Meerut, Jan 22 (IANS) The pulse-polio rally received tremendous response in Meerut Saturday with health workers and UNICEF officials taking out a mass procession through the city streets.The rally was held ahead of the National Immunisation Day (NID) Sunday.
According to officials, Meerut sub-region comprising Meerut, Muzaffarnagar, Saharanpur and Baghpat districts reported only three polio cases in 2010 - two in Muzaffarnagar and one in Baghpat.
District officials, international agencies, and frontline polio workers expressed pride over the falling number of polio cases as Meerut used to report a high number of polio cases till only a few years ago.
Doctor Subodh Tiwari, chief medical officer, said that all efforts are being made to wipe out polio from Meerut.
According to official data, only two percent of the country - that is 107 districts in Uttar Pradesh (66) and Bihar (41) - hold the key to eradicating polio. Meerut is one of these districts.
- Muslim clerics join hands for polio eradication in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 28, 2011
- Families refuse polio drops in Bihar - Sep 21, 2011
- In Uttar Pradesh bylanes, children help fight polio - Feb 03, 2011
- Community mobilisers inch closer towards making India polio-free - Jan 31, 2011
- Bihar reported no polio case in last one year - Sep 12, 2011
- How battle against polio was won in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 24, 2011
- 'Getting rid of polio can save $2 trillion' - Feb 26, 2012
- India to support global polio eradication: Azad - Feb 26, 2012
- India faces polio threat from Pakistan: Minister - Dec 20, 2011
- Faltering on polio, Pakistan looks at India lesson - Mar 02, 2012
- Indian Olympic athletes appeal to root out polio - Aug 02, 2012
- President Patil launches 2011 'Pulse Polio' campaign - Jan 22, 2011
- A year of no polio: India triumphs, but risks remains - Jan 11, 2012
- Over 17 crore kids get polio vaccine - Feb 19, 2012
- Bivalent polio vaccine launched in Delhi, Uttar Pradesh - Feb 07, 2010