Hookah use rising despite being as harmful as cigarettesNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:22 am ICT by admin
The research team set out to see if there was any evidence about the addictive properties of this form of tobacco use, and whether there were research trials looking at treatment options to help waterpipe users quit.
“We searched for published and unpublished waterpipe cessation trials in any language, especially in areas of the world where waterpipe use is widespread, but were unable to find any,” says lead researcher Dr Wasim Maziak.
He added that some of the information gap would be plugged because his team is currently researching ways of developing cessation interventions for waterpipe users.
Many people believe that because the tobacco smoke is drawn through water, it is less harmful than other forms of smoking, but the evidence accumulated so far does not support that assumption, Dr Maziak said.
He also cited previous studies that have proved that using a waterpipe is as addictive and harmful as other forms of tobacco smoking.
“As waterpipe use is increasing throughout Europe and North America it is very important that we initiate comprehensive research efforts to combat this looming epidemic,” says Dr Maziak. (ANI)
- As hookah becomes in, it raises health concerns (Lifestyle Feature) - May 06, 2012
- Russia to ban hookah smoking in public - Nov 10, 2011
- Shisha 'as bad as ciggies' - Apr 27, 2010
- Nicotine-containing hookah an unhealthy hit among youngsters - May 11, 2010
- 'US college women gravitate towards hookah' - Jul 19, 2012
- 30 Bangalore school kids caught smoking 'hookah' in club - Mar 05, 2012
- Smoking tobacco through waterpipe as harmful as puffing on cigarette - Dec 03, 2009
- Now a helpline to quit tobacco - May 29, 2012
- Hookah use common among college students - Apr 06, 2011
- High drop-out rate hits Delhi's tobacco cessation centres - Jun 04, 2012
- We Need A Lifetime Of No Tobacco, And Not Merely A Day - May 28, 2010
- City Councilman 'calls for ban on creation of new hookah bars' - Oct 25, 2010
- Karachi school-girls in the grip of smoking epidemic - Jun 02, 2010
- Smoking rises in Karachi's girls schools - Jun 02, 2010
- Ashley Cole shows off new lover while puffing hookah at London club - Mar 14, 2011
Tags: addictive properties, cessation interventions, cochrane, comprehensive research, epidemic, evidence, hookah, hubble, information gap, research efforts, research trials, stop smoking, tobacco smoke, tobacco smoking, tobacco use, treatment options, wasim, waterpipe, waterpipes, western countries