HLL launching affordable diagnostic kitsAugust 7th, 2012 - 6:55 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Aug 7 (IANS) HLL Lifecare Limited, a mini-Ratna public sector undertaking headquartered here, is soon coming out with cheap and affordable duplex test kit for ‘chikungunya’ and ‘dengue’ fever tests.
The new multiplex molecular diagnostic kit, based on PCR (polymerase chain reaction), has been developed by HLL in collaboration with the Rajiv Gandhi Centre for Biotechnology, also based here. Both ‘chikungunya’ and ‘dengue’ are viruses carried by mosquitoes to the humans.
“Making public healthcare affordable has always been our motto. This kit comes as the latest offering from our portfolio to ease the burden of the common man,” said HLL chairman and managing director M. Ayyappan.
The HLL founded in 1966, the leading manufacturer of condoms, is strong-footed in the diagnostic business with its Hindlabs that provide a complete range of path lab services.
“Looking to tap the growing opportunities in the sector and making a solid market intervention to make tests of communicable diseases accessible and affordable, we will extend the facility for other viral platforms as well,” Ayyappan added.
HLL has a factory located at Manesar in Haryana, exclusively catering to the manufacturing of in-vitro diagnostic test kits. This unit had started with manufacture of pregnancy test kits and is currently into production of kits for dengue and malaria, among other infectious diseases.
The decision by HLL to enter this segment comes after ‘chikungunya’ continues to resurface in the country every year, especially during the monsoon season. In 2010, as many as 48,176 clinically suspected cases were reported from 18 states/union territories (135 districts), according to the figures from the Planning Commission.
Likewise, ‘dengue’ is endemic to 31 states and in 2010 a total of 28,292 cases and 110 deaths were reported from 403 districts, recording the highest number in the last two decades.
- HLL Lifecare launches herbal products - Dec 22, 2011
- HLL Lifecare floats subsidiary for vaccine complex - Apr 30, 2012
- Moods among top three condom brands in UAE - Jan 06, 2011
- HLL ties up with IGNOU for healthcare education - Nov 12, 2011
- Female condom yet to gain acceptability - Sep 11, 2012
- Natural gas to power HLL Lifecare factories - Jul 07, 2011
- Kerala gets floating pathology lab - Aug 23, 2011
- Female condom fails to gain popularity - Jul 03, 2012
- Condom maker HLL setting up vaccine project - Jan 15, 2010
- Counting beads - a new family planning way for women! - Dec 05, 2011
- HLL Lifecare opens one-stop medical outlet in Kerala - Sep 30, 2011
- Pushing for cheap diabetes diagnostic methods: Azad - Nov 15, 2010
- After condoms, HLL Life Care now turns to sanitary napkins - Nov 07, 2011
- Delhi to intensify drive against dengue, chikungunya - Oct 19, 2010
- 24 dengue cases in 24 hours in Delhi - Oct 24, 2011
Tags: chain reaction, chikungunya, common man, communicable diseases, diagnostic kit, diagnostic kits, diagnostic test kits, haryana, infectious diseases, manesar, market intervention, monsoon season, mosquitoes, planning commission, polymerase chain reaction, pregnancy test kits, public healthcare, rajiv gandhi, test kit, union territories