HIVs pad up to fight stigma on World Aids DayDecember 1st, 2010 - 8:40 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, Dec 1 (IANS) A friendly 20-20 cricket match was played here Wednesday. However, what was unusual about the match was that 10 of the 30 players were HIV positive.
The two teams were called Minister’s XI and Project Director’s XI. Madhya Pradesh Minister of State for Health Mahendra Hardia captained the former while project director of Madhya Pradesh State Aids Control Society, Manohar Agnani, captained the other.
“No doubt forums and seminars on Dec 1 are informative and spread awareness. But a cricket match was a brilliant idea,” Hardia said.
“It sends an instant message to society that HIV positive people can play a game of cricket with as much energy and enthusiasm as any other person,” he added.
Unicef (United Nations Children’s Fund) Programme Manager Manish Mathur said it was not about winning or losing the match, the important thing was that we together win to spread awareness on the issue and help fight stigma and discrimination associated with it.
Though the match ended in a tie but the spirit of fighting the stigma lingered on long after the game.
The match was organised by the Network of People Living With HIV AIDS Society, an association of activists working for HIV positive patients throughout the state.
- Stigma, low awareness hinder tracing HIV+ kids: Unicef - Jun 09, 2011
- Shakib appointed Bangladesh's Think Wise spokesperson for HIV/AIDS awareness - Nov 30, 2010
- Cricketers to sport red ribbons on World AIDS Day - Nov 29, 2010
- Sehwag visits hospital to show his support for HIV patients - Mar 04, 2011
- Delhi to launch AIDS awareness campaign - Sep 20, 2011
- Inter-faith summit to remove HIV-related myths - Sep 22, 2010
- Sehwag, Sangakkara bat in UN campaign to combat AIDS - Jan 26, 2011
- HIV positive children battle disease, discrimination (Dec 1 is World AIDS Day) - Dec 01, 2010
- Positive, he brings smiles to other HIV-affected - Apr 16, 2011
- India can meet budget for its AIDS programmes: Azad - Dec 01, 2011
- Treat HIV/AIDS as social, developmental issue, say experts (Dec 1 is World AIDS Day) - Nov 30, 2009
- Spreading AIDS awareness through music - Oct 15, 2011
- Cars for every Indian player if team wins the World Cup (Diary) - Apr 01, 2011
- Preity Zinta to spread AIDS awareness via IPL (Lead) - Mar 11, 2010
- Gilchrist expects good show from Kings XI against Super Kings - Apr 12, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,