HIV spreading among Tibetans, says government-in-exileDecember 1st, 2011 - 7:33 pm ICT by IANS
Dharamsala, Dec 1 (IANS) HIV is increasingly becoming one of the most dangerous diseases spreading within the Tibetan community, the Tibetan government-in-exile said here Thursday.
The Tibetans should take preventive measures and regular medical tests to combat the disease, Health Minister Tsering Wangchuk said at a function being organised by the Central Tibetan Administration (CTA) to mark World AIDS Day.
He advised the exiles to take preventive measures and regular medical tests to combat HIV.
According to a CTA report titled “Demographic Survey of Tibetans-in-Exile 2009″, the total population of Tibetans outside Tibet stood at 127,935, comprising 70,556 males and 57,379 females.
There are 94,203 Tibetans living in India, 13,514 in Nepal, 1,298 in Bhutan and 18,920 elsewhere, said the report.
The Dalai Lama along with many of his supporters fled Tibet and took refuge in India and has been settled in this hill station in north Indian state of Himachal Pradesh in 1959. His government-in-exile based here, however, is not recognised by any country.
- Tibetans to get five-year registration certificates - Apr 22, 2012
- Sex ratio, literacy rate of Tibetans-in-exile up: survey - Dec 04, 2010
- Build harmony with Indians, Tibetans told (World Refugee Day) - Jun 20, 2011
- Exiles hail Indian citizenship for Tibetan as landmark - Jan 20, 2011
- Growth rate of Tibetan exiles plummets - Dec 11, 2010
- Exiles ask BRICS to raise Tibet with Hu - Mar 28, 2012
- Exiles predict more trouble in Tibet - Mar 17, 2012
- Exiled Tibetans ask China to stop repressive policy - Nov 04, 2011
- Refrain from self-immolation, Tibetian government-in-exile appeals - Sep 02, 2012
- Tibetans urged not to celebrate New Year - Feb 20, 2012
- Situation in Tibet very worrying, says Switzerland - Nov 22, 2011
- Dalai Lama asks China to review Tibet policy - Nov 05, 2011
- Respect human rights, Tibetan exiles ask China - Dec 10, 2011
- Exiles to step on Tibetan soil brought to Himachal - Oct 25, 2011
- International community apprised on Tibetans' plight - Oct 23, 2011
Tags: aids, bhutan, central tibetan administration, cta, dalai lama, dangerous diseases, demographic survey, exiles, females, health minister, hiv, medical tests, nepal, preventive measures, tibet, tibetan community, tibetan government in exile, total population, tsering wangchuk, world aids day