HIV positive patients seek action against doctorSeptember 5th, 2011 - 10:56 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Sep 5 (IANS) Wearing black badges, around 100 HIV positive people Monday staged a demonstration outside the West Bengal health department headquarters here demanding punishment for a government doctor whose alleged negligence resulted in an HIV positive patient’s death.
Carrying a photograph of victim Milan Das, the demonstrators under the banner of Bengal Network of HIV-positive People (BNP+) pasted posters on the walls of the building demanding exemplary punishment for the doctor.
“We wanted to meet the health secretary. But he did not meet us. We lit candles and kept a minute’s silence,” said Tarit Chakraborty, BNP+ secretary.
Das was admitted to a state-run hospital with a heart problem last month.
“But the hospital kept him without treatment for days. And then transferred him to the School of Tropical Medicine saying they don’t have the infrastructure to treat him. But by then it was too late and he died,” alleged Chakraborty.
“We want the attending doctor to be placed under suspension,” he said.
NGO People for Better Treatment’s president Kunal Saha said strong action needed to be taken against the erring doctors to ensure justice for the victim’s family.
- Five get organs from man with HIV - Sep 30, 2011
- NRI doctors demands removal of 'tainted' medical council members - Nov 04, 2011
- Disband Bengal medical council, NGO asks Mamata - Jul 04, 2011
- HIV-positive man dies, relatives say doctors biased - May 17, 2011
- Father seeks justice for son's death - Aug 05, 2011
- Norway case rerun: Curbs on Indian couple meeting son in US - Sep 09, 2012
- NGO demands fast track court for medical justice - Dec 30, 2011
- Uneasy calm in Bengal's biggest paediatric hospital - Jul 01, 2011
- An RTI query which may have averted AMRI blaze - Dec 22, 2011
- Deaf-mute athlete raped in Bengal, attacker arrested - Jun 26, 2012
- The Untouchables: Children living with HIV, AIDS in Manipur (Dec 1 is World AIDS Day) - Dec 01, 2010
- Introduce HIV/AIDS bill in parliament, demand affected people - Jul 04, 2011
- Five days after fire, Tripura family still looking for man - Dec 14, 2011
- Azad condoles Kolkata hospital deaths, offers help - Dec 09, 2011
- Left Front demands high-level probe into hospital fire - Dec 10, 2011
Tags: badges, candles, chakraborty, demonstration, demonstrators, department headquarters, exemplary punishment, government doctor, health department, health secretary, heart problem, hiv, kunal, milan, negligence, ngo, photograph, saha, tropical medicine, west bengal