Himachal to sensitise students about AIDS during school prayersNovember 30th, 2010 - 10:16 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Nov 30 (IANS) The Himachal Pradesh government will disseminate information about HIV/AIDS during the morning prayer session of every senior secondary school to sensitise students about the scourge, a minister said Tuesday.
“To sensitise the young minds about AIDS, the government has decided to start educating the students in the prayer session of every senior secondary school from tomorrow (Wednesday),” Health Minister Rajeev Bindal told IANS.
He said the government has published information on AIDS that has been provided to the school heads. “Of course, the schoolchildren would act as health ambassadors in our future programmes,” he added.
The hill state has 1,246 senior secondary schools with a strength of 273,488 students.
Bindal said Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal is launching a state-wide awareness campaign World AIDS Day (Dec 1) from Shimla, under which various programmes would be organised across the state for the next 25 days.
He said similar functions would be organised in all district headquarters Wednesday, where local legislators would participate.
State AIDS Control Society director Sulakshna Puri said the state has 4,829 AIDS positive cases.
“The first case in the state was reported in 1992,” she added.
- Number of AIDS cases fall in Himachal - Dec 01, 2010
- Badminton champion told to clean utensils in Himachal - Feb 24, 2011
- Himachal to install water filters in 3,000 schools - Aug 12, 2011
- To save environment, Himachal schools take pledge - May 04, 2010
- Provide pensions to HIV patients, says Himachal - Jul 04, 2011
- Graft, scams hog limelight in Himachal assembly (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Apr 01, 2012
- Schoolchildren's death: Himachal to conduct surveys - Feb 08, 2011
- Lack of syringes hits Himachal's HIV tests - Oct 13, 2011
- Running short, Himachal borrows condoms from Punjab - Jul 13, 2011
- Parents to take 'anti-narcotics' oath for drug-free Himachal - Sep 28, 2010
- Himachal health minister's resignation accepted - Jul 05, 2012
- Himachal minister resigns - Mar 12, 2012
- Students attend Meghalaya Assembly proceedings - Apr 03, 2011
- Himachal minister resigns amid assembly uproar (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- 2,000 new cancer cases in Himachal in last one year - Apr 05, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,