Himachal Pradesh launches free ambulance serviceDecember 25th, 2010 - 7:21 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Dec 25 (IANS) Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal Saturday launched a free ambulance service here to provide timely medical aid to people in emergencies.With this launch, the residents in Shimla, Sirmaur, Solan, Una, Hamirpur, Kangra and Bilaspur districts would be able to get round-the-clock ambulance service by calling at a toll free number 108.
Principal Secretary (Health) P.C.Dhiman told IANS that initially seven districts would be covered and the service would soon be extended to the remaining districts, except Kinnaur, Lahaul and Spiti districts.
“The ambulances are furnished with life-saving equipments like automatic external defibrillator and drugs like anti-snake venom,” he said.
For the service, the state government has tied up with Hyderabad-based GVK-EMRI (Emergency Management Research Institute) under a public-private partnership mode. The project is jointly funded by the National Rural Health Mission and the state government.
Himachal Pradesh is the 11th state in the country and the second in north India after Uttrakhand to start this service.
The idea for the emergency response service in the state was conceived in December 2007 soon after the Bharatiya Janta Party came to power.
It will be a major relief for the people of the state, where more than 800 people are killed in road accidents and around 5,000 get injured every year.
- Himachal to launch free ambulance service - Dec 20, 2010
- Himachal to start free ambulance services - Jul 10, 2010
- Palanquin bearers to ferry patients in Himachal - Aug 16, 2012
- Heavy rains predicted in Himachal - Jul 08, 2012
- Virbhadra Singh: BJP got kickbacks in NRHM project in Himachal - Sep 10, 2012
- Congress walkout over Vajpayee - Mar 03, 2011
- Free ambulance service starts in Himachal Pradesh - Dec 26, 2010
- Shutdown hits commercial life in Himachal (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Five rescued from swollen Himachal river - Jul 15, 2011
- Rains bring down temperatures in Himachal - Jul 05, 2012
- Himachal launches drive against female foeticide - Feb 06, 2011
- Himachal seeks to rein in monkeys - Sep 21, 2011
- Disease claims two lives in Himachal - Sep 04, 2012
- Commercial establishments shut in Himachal - Sep 20, 2012
- To catch monkeys, Himachal dangles Rs.500 bait - Nov 03, 2011
Tags: ambulance service, automatic external defibrillator, bilaspur, dhiman, emergency management research, emergency response service, free ambulance, gvk, hamirpur, kangra, kinnaur, management research institute, national rural health, national rural health mission, north india, principal secretary, public private partnership, road accidents, snake venom, spiti