Himachal bans gutkha, paan masalaJuly 13th, 2012 - 8:15 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, July 13 (IANS) The Himachal Pradesh government Friday imposed a ban on the manufacture, storage and sale of ‘gutkha’, ‘paan masala’ and their variants containing tobacco and nicotine in the state with immediate effect.
“Storage, sale or distribution of gutkha, paan masala, ‘masheri’ and ‘khaini’ is illegal and such products, if stored, or being manufactured or sold in the state, the persons doing so will be proceeded against as per provisions of the Food Safety and Standards Act of 2006,” a government spokesperson told IANS.
He said no licence would be issued by the government to do business of tobacco-based products, which were responsible for oral diseases such as cancer.
Himachal Pradesh has joined a handful of states, among them Maharashtra, Kerala and Madhya Pradesh, to impose total ban on gutkha.
- Himachal defers ban on gutka till October - Jul 17, 2012
- Kerala bans gutka, paan masala (Lead) - May 25, 2012
- Himachal directed to ban smoking at public places - Jul 24, 2012
- Punjab bans gutka, pan masala - Aug 27, 2012
- Gutka ban welcome, needs to be effective, say Delhiites - Sep 11, 2012
- Court asks Delhi to decide on tobacco ban plea - Aug 22, 2012
- Kerala bans gutka, paan masala (Second Lead, superseding earlier story) - May 26, 2012
- Haryana bans gutka, pan masala from Aug 15 - Jul 20, 2012
- No sale of tobacco products in plastic pouches from March: Supreme Court - Feb 17, 2011
- Rajasthan bans gutka, plans fines up to Rs.10 lakh - Jul 18, 2012
- Jharkhand bans sale, manufacturing of gutka - Jul 24, 2012
- UP moves to make varsities tobacco-free - Apr 25, 2012
- Chandy writes to Jayalalithaa on smuggling of tobacco products - Sep 05, 2012
- We Need A Lifetime Of No Tobacco, And Not Merely A Day - May 28, 2010
- Chewing tobacco joins 'banned foods' as oral cancer cases rise - Sep 02, 2011