High levels of lead found in 99 Chinese kidsMay 16th, 2011 - 8:22 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, May 16 (IANS) Excessive levels of lead have been found in more than 300 people, including 99 children, in a province in eastern China, officials said.
The legal representative for a battery plant in Zhejiang province was detained Monday in this connection, Xinhua reported.
An investigation found that lead had been improperly disposed of by the Haijiu Battery Co., an official said.
Over 2,000 people in the province underwent blood tests since May 1, and 332 of them, including the 99 children, were found to have excessive levels of lead in their blood.
So far, 53 people, including 27 children, have been hospitalised.
Excessive levels of lead in the blood can damage the digestive, nervous, and reproductive systems and cause stomach aches, anaemia and convulsions.
- Excessive lead levels found in 200 Chinese kids - Jan 05, 2011
- 600 people affected by lead poisoning in China - Jun 12, 2011
- Over 200 children have excessive lead levels in eastern China - Jan 05, 2011
- 12 plants closed in China after lead found in kids' blood - Jul 08, 2012
- 39 children in China found to have lead poisoning - Jul 24, 2010
- Lead poisoning leaves 45 children sick in China - Mar 23, 2010
- 84 Chinese kids detected with lead poisoning - Jul 26, 2010
- Lead poisoning in developing world alarming - Aug 15, 2011
- Three firms guilty of lead poisoning in Chinese kids - Feb 26, 2012
- Low Vitamin D in kids linked to anaemia - May 02, 2011
- Battery factory poisons 24 children in China - Jan 06, 2011
- Lead poisoning, 120 kids ill in China - Sep 27, 2009
- Chinese plant shut as over 40 kids suffer lead poisoning - Dec 28, 2009
- Woman with rare hormonal disorder operated upon (with images) - Dec 27, 2011
- 22 Chinese held for producing toxic capsules - Apr 16, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,