Health warning revision on tobacco packs deferred till 2012December 22nd, 2010 - 9:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 22 (IANS) The central health ministry has delayed the revision of pictorial warnings on cigarette and tobacco packets till 2012, causing widespread anger among activists and health campaigners. According to the ministry notification issued Dec 20, the existing pictorial warnings will continue and any revision will come into force only after two years.
“The specific health warning on tobacco packets shall be rotated every two years from the date of notification of the rule,” the health ministry said.
The revision was originally to be implemented and new warnings put on packets Dec 1, 2010, but was then delayed.
This has sent a wave of dissatisfaction among activists.
“This is the final act of betrayal across the board to one billion Indians,” Bhavna B. Mukhopadhyay, executive director of Voluntary Health Association of India (VHAI), a social group, said in a statement Wednesday.
“The civil society and public health advocates are deeply distressed and concerned by the government notification which confirms that the earlier, weak pictorial health warnings of the lung X-ray and diseased lungs (on cigarette packets) and the scorpion (on the chewing tobacco packets) will continue till 2012,” Mukhopadhyay said.
“The obvious question is why was the earlier notification of implementation effective Dec 1 retained for 20 days,” she asked.
- Harsher pictorial warnings on tobacco packs from Dec 1 (Lead) - May 28, 2011
- Harsher pictorial warnings on tobacco packs from Dec 1 - May 28, 2011
- Present tobacco pictorial warnings unclear: Health ministry - Apr 04, 2011
- Inadequate, say health activists of new anti-tobacco warnings - Jun 01, 2011
- No smoking: Gory pictures pull in, shock trade fair visitors - Nov 18, 2010
- Law on anti-tobacco warnings ignored in two states: Study - Feb 16, 2012
- Chewing tobacco joins 'banned foods' as oral cancer cases rise - Sep 02, 2011
- Harsher cancer warning on tobacco products in the offing - May 25, 2011
- Tobbaco products should sport more graphic warnings: Survey - Nov 26, 2010
- Pictorial warnings on tobacco packets deferred to Dec 1 - May 18, 2010
- Cancerous mouth pictures on tobacco products from June 1 - Mar 15, 2010
- Doctors launch campaign for a tobacco-free Bangalore (May 31 is World No Tobacco Day) - May 30, 2011
- Bidi companies violating order on pictorial warnings: study - Jul 20, 2009
- Gutka ban welcome, needs to be effective, say Delhiites - Sep 11, 2012
- New pictorial warnings on tobacco products from June 1 - Mar 10, 2010
Tags: act of betrayal, central health, chewing tobacco, cigarette packets, diseased lungs, final act, government notification, health association, health campaigners, health ministry, health warning, health warnings, mukhopadhyay, one billion, public health advocates, social group, specific health, tobacco packs, voluntary health, x ray