Health group to map non-communicable diseasesOctober 9th, 2011 - 5:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 9 (IANS) A health advocacy group Sunday said it will map the prevalence and awareness of non-communicable diseases (NCDs) like cancer and diabetes in the national capital.
“Non-communicable diseases (NCDs) have a different profile in urban and rural parts of the country. We are planning to start from the national capital where schools and communities will be tapped,” Aman Gupta, principal advisor of India Health Progress, said at a conference here.
NCDs are reported to be responsible for over 55 percent of deaths in Southeast Asia. According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), deaths due to cancer, diabetes, cardio-vascular diseases and other NCDs are expected to increase by around 21 percent over the next decade in countries such as India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Nepal.
“Once we have a ground map ready, we will present it not just to the health ministry, but also planning commission, and other ministries that can help at the policy level to deal with the socio-economic burden of the NCDs,” Gupta added.
The mapping and survey programmes are spread over the next three months.
The health ministry has also rolled out schemes such as the National Programme for Prevention and Control of Cancer, Diabetes, Cardiovascular Diseases and Stroke (NPCDCS) and National Programme for Health Care of the Elderly (NPHCE) spanning across 100 districts in 21 states.
- Need to tackle monumental challenge of non-communicable diseases: Azad - Nov 17, 2011
- Focusing on rural areas for non-communicable diseases: Azad - Aug 23, 2011
- Cardiovascular diseases to cause most deaths by 2020: Azad - Sep 28, 2011
- Prevention of non-communicable diseases priority: Azad - Mar 16, 2011
- To combat 'silent killers', India to conduct survey - Aug 12, 2012
- India fighting against non-communicable diseases: Azad - Sep 20, 2011
- WHO expands steps to fight non-communicable diseases - Apr 25, 2012
- Non-communicable diseases threat to development: UN chief - Sep 20, 2011
- India to screen entire population for cancer, heart ailment - Dec 13, 2011
- Sedentary lifestyles affecting health of India's elderly (April 7 is World Health Day) - Apr 06, 2012
- Non-communicable diseases leading cause of deaths: UN - Apr 28, 2011
- Healthy ageing a global challenge: WHO - Apr 03, 2012
- BRICS discuss steps to check non-communicable diseases - Sep 21, 2011
- Over 50 percent deaths from non-communicable diseases: Azad - Sep 08, 2011
- Better Healthcare for Diabetes and Stroke patients - Jul 08, 2010
Tags: cardiovascular diseases, economic burden, gupta, health advocacy group, health group, health ministry, health progress, india health, india pakistan bangladesh, national programme, ncds, New Delhi, non communicable diseases, planning commission, prevalence, principal advisor, southeast asia, three months, vascular diseases, world health organisation