Health food for heart patients, diabeticsOctober 16th, 2011 - 6:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 16 (IANS) People suffering from heart diseases and diabetes should eat a lot of beans, soybean, tofu and lentils as these are rich in proteins and low on fat and cholesterol, an expert said Sunday.
With the number Indians suffering from diabetes and heart ailments on the rise, an interactive cooking session — ‘Healthy food for healthy heart’ — was conducted by nutritionist Ishi Khosla at the Max Super Speciality Hospital here.
“To eat is a necessity but to eat intelligently is an art. We want people to change their eating habits by choosing which foods to eat more and which to limit,” Khosla said.
The nutritionist conducted a cooking session where simple, quick and easy to make recipes for people suffering from heart diseases and diabetes were shared.
“The recipes shared today are not only healthy but appealing by experimenting with ingredients like beans, soybean, tofu and lentils, which are rich in protein and contain less fat and no cholesterol.”
According to Khosla, people do not opt for healthier substitutes till it is too late.
“People should opt for green tea, whole grains like brown rice and barley. The problem with us is that we never value health is till sickness comes,” said Khosla.
- Watch your diet, you multi-tasking women! (March 8 is International Women's Day) - Mar 06, 2012
- 'Use canola or olive oil for better health' - Jan 11, 2012
- Beat diabetes with a wheat and rice free diet - Aug 05, 2011
- Beat the summer - sleep well, eat well for glowing skin - Apr 18, 2012
- Key components of Mediterranean diet that keep heart healthy - Feb 12, 2010
- Switch to olive oil for better health: Cookery expert Nita Mehta (With Image) - Jan 08, 2012
- Fall in love with food, says nutritionist-author - Jun 27, 2012
- Soy protein can lower fat accumulation in liver - Apr 23, 2012
- Variety in meals hold key to longer life - Oct 19, 2010
- Variety in meals holds key to a long and healthy life - Oct 18, 2010
- Low-carb diet may not be good for heart: Study - Jun 11, 2012
- Travel easy with diabetes (Health Feature)(With Image) - Jul 06, 2012
- Eggs 'contain higher Vitamin D levels and low cholesterol than thought' - Apr 14, 2011
- Strawberries prevent heart disease, diabetes - Jul 06, 2012
- Gwyneth Paltrow's fitness secret - detox - Nov 22, 2010
Tags: barley, brown rice, diabetics, easy to make recipes, eating habits, green tea, health food, healthy food, healthy heart, heart ailments, heart diseases, heart patients, interactive cooking, khosla, lentils, soybean, speciality hospital, tofu, value health, whole grains