He carried eight-inch-long leather belt in his chest for 4 yearsJuly 30th, 2010 - 7:27 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 30 (IANS) In a rare surgery performed in Apollo hospital here, an eight-inch-long leather belt was removed from the chest of a young man after it had lain there undetected for four years, a doctor said Friday.
Twenty-two year old Anuj Ranjan from Lucknow, who met with a road accident in 2006 and was injured in his abdomen, took some treatment and was discharged by a local hospital back then.
“After six months, Anuj developed chest pain and fever. He was put on anti-tubercular treatment which continued for at least two years. But he gained no relief from the recurrent chest pain and fever. Further, he developed a swelling on his left chest which bulged, burst and released a lot of pus and air,” Anuj’s father said.
When K.K. Pandey, senior consultant for thoracic and vascular surgery at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital operated upon Ranjan on July 20, he was shocked to find an eight-inch- long piece of leather belt and a small piece of cotton cloth inside Anuj’s chest.
“The leather belt broke and entered his stomach along with the cotton cloth when he met with the accident. It then travelled to his chest area. He was in a critical stage as infection of the left lung was spreading to the right side of his chest. As the foreign body has now been removed, Ranjan is now recovering,” Pandey said.
- Indian doctors remove embedded bullet from Nigerian man - Jul 17, 2011
- Doctors sew up forceps inside patient in Kent - Aug 09, 2012
- Azharuddin's son still critical - Sep 12, 2011
- Michael Lohan to undergo heart surgery - Nov 26, 2011
- Beijing hospital sued after patient dies - May 29, 2012
- Uddhav Thackeray to undergo angioplasty Friday - Jul 20, 2012
- Amitabh likely to undergo another surgery? - Feb 17, 2012
- Iraqi woman undergoes hip replacement in Delhi - Jul 06, 2011
- Uddhav Thackeray discharged from hospital - Jul 23, 2012
- Gaga makes catwalk debut at Paris Fashion Week - Mar 03, 2011
- Sreedharan to be discharged, but will rest for now (Lead) - Apr 14, 2010
- Spider attacks sleeping nudist - May 14, 2010
- Sreedharan to be discharged Thursday - Apr 14, 2010
- Big B battles sleepless nights in hospital - Feb 18, 2012
- Amitabh to be discharged from hospital soon - Feb 20, 2012
Tags: abdomen, chest area, cotton cloth, critical stage, fever, indraprastha apollo hospital, leather belt, left chest, left lung, local hospital, lucknow, New Delhi, piece of leather, pus, ranjan, recurrent chest pain, road accident, senior consultant, vascular surgery, young man