Haryana sits on NHRC reminderAugust 23rd, 2012 - 5:05 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 23 (IANS) Despite a reminder from the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC), the Haryana government has failed to provide monetary relief to 288 students who took ill in May last after the midday meal in two government schools.
“The National Human Rights Commission had recommended that Haryana pay Rs.25,000 to each of the students who fell sick after the midday meal. It also suggested action against errant health officials. However, the state is yet to send its action taken report,” said an official of the commission Thursday.
The food was being provided by the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON) in Kurukshetra district. Students from two schools fell sick after eating the meal.
While 50 students fell ill after the meal on May 14 in Thanesar block, 238 students took ill on May 16 in Pehowa block.
According to the government’s record, of the ten food samples taken, two were found contaminated with dead lizards. In two other samples, dead houseflies were found.
When the government received the notice from the NHRC for not providing relief to the victims, it claimed that all victims were provided the best treatment free of cost. Therefore, the case of interim relief under Section 18(a)(i) of Protection of Human Rights Act, 1993, the government claimed, could not be made in the matter.
Unsatisfied with the response, the commission asked Haryana to submit a compliance report by June 4, 2012.
On getting no response, the commission issued a reminder Aug 6 to the chief secretary of Haryana, seeking a compliance report within four weeks. No response has yet been made to the reminder.
- NHRC asks Bihar for report on students' thrashing - Jul 19, 2012
- 48 students fall ill after having mid-day meal - Jul 14, 2011
- 53 students taken ill after mid-day meal - Jul 16, 2011
- NHRC orders relief to kin of child killed in gate collapse - Aug 24, 2012
- Delhi corporal punishment victim to be compensated - Mar 21, 2012
- NHRC pulls up Assam over witch hunting, custodial deaths - May 28, 2012
- Railways asked to compensate boy who was disabled - Mar 09, 2010
- Haryana to review mid-day meal scheme as kids fall sick - Jul 18, 2011
- Compensate woman mistreated by police, NHRC tells Delhi - Mar 22, 2012
- Bihar ordered to pay Rs.3 lakh to undertrial's kin - Dec 14, 2011
- NHRC issues notice to Delhi government, power discom - Sep 05, 2012
- Media should highlight rights violations: NHRC (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Media should highlight rights violations: NHRC - Apr 27, 2012
- Delhi told to pay damages for Tihar inmate's suicide - Feb 06, 2012
- Rights panel handled over 10 lakh cases since 1993 - Oct 12, 2011
Tags: chief secretary, compliance report, dead lizards, district students, food samples, haryana government, health officials, houseflies, human rights act, human rights act 1993, human rights commission, interim relief, international society for krishna consciousness, iskcon, lizards, midday meal, monetary relief, national human rights commission, nhrc, unsatisfied