Half of Brits over 100 will be mentally ill by 2074November 14th, 2007 - 2:01 am ICT by admin
According to Dr Brown, steady enhancements in lifetime indicate that more and more people will spend the last decades of their life struggling with disability and dementia.
Recent statistics put the number of centenarians at 9,000, and experts predict that this figure could rise to 1million by 2074.
However, Dr Brown says that the added years will be prone to deteriorating health, with up to half of the 100-year-olds of the future facing dying with dementia.
Dr Brown, an expert in the degenerative disease, called for more money to be immediately put into the care of the elderly as well as researches into age-related diseases such as Alzheimer’s.
“Imagine the consequences if this nightmare becomes reality. Imagine the psychological consequences of expecting to develop dementia. Imagine the economic consequences of providing one-to-one round-the-clock care for decades on end for millions of demented or disabled people. Yet we are doing absolutely nothing about it. Death, dying and dementia are nowhere on the political agenda,” the Daily Mail quoted him, as saying.
Research funding needs to be redirected here rather than aimed at simply preventing death. We have to develop alternative routes to drug development for therapies that don’t make economic sense for the pharmaceutical and biotech industries to pursue. Hospices ought to be as ubiquitous and well-funded as maternity hospitals,” he added.
In an article entitled The Bitter End, published in ‘New Scientist’, Dr Brown warned that “the future is not just old, it’s extremely old”.
“Death is not the enemy; it is an integral part of life. It is ageing and its diseases we should be fighting. Attacking them will be at least as important in the 21st century as efforts to tackle terrorism and global warming,” he added. (ANI)
- Genes behind whether you'll live till 100 discovered - Jul 02, 2010
- Secret of living till 100 lies in genes - Jul 03, 2010
- Scientists decode genes that cause ageing - May 17, 2010
- Genes that let you live to 100 discovered - May 16, 2010
- Genes predict extreme longevity - Jul 02, 2010
- Bilingualism can delay onset of Alzheimer's symptoms by 5 yrs: Study - Nov 09, 2010
- Bilingualism can delay onset of Alzheimer's symptoms: Study - Nov 10, 2010
- Junk food could also damage brain, says study - Aug 30, 2012
- Soon, 'magic pill' that will allow people to live beyond 100 - May 11, 2010
- Your sense of smell could foretell when you're going to die - Jan 14, 2011
- Spouses of dementia sufferers 'six times more likely to develop same condition' - May 05, 2010
- Research reveals that 'Slow walking might be linked with dementia' - Feb 17, 2012
- Scientists zero in on one key for living to 100 - Nov 14, 2009
- Childhood traumas linked to poor mental, physical health in adulthood - Dec 08, 2009
- Irregular heart beat plus stroke may increase dementia risk - Mar 08, 2011
Tags: biotech industries, cambridge university, care of the elderly, centenarians, clock care, death dying, decades, dementia, disabled people, diseases, dr brown, economic consequences, economic sense, experts predict, mail, maternity hospitals, new scientist, old death, psychological consequences, ubiquitous