Haiti cholera toll rises to 1,721November 30th, 2010 - 11:58 am ICT by IANS
Port-au-Prince, Nov 30 (IANS/EFE) The number of deaths from the cholera epidemic afflicting Haiti since mid-October has risen to 1,721, health officials said.
In all, 75,888 people have been attended for the disease, of whom 33,485 were hospitalised, though 32,283 of them recovered and were sent home.
Cholera, which was eradicated in the impoverished Caribbean nation until it appeared last month, has killed 760 people in the northern province of Artibonite, the hardest hit by the scourge.
Following that province is Nord, with 290 deaths, Ouest with 285 including 162 in the Haitian capital, Plateau Central with 177, and Nord-Ouest province with 164 fatalities.
Port-au-Prince remains dotted with camps holding some of the hundreds of thousands of people left homeless by a Jan 12 earthquake blamed for more than 200,000 deaths.
Only one of Haiti’s 10 provinces, Nippes, has not had a single cholera death.
The origin of the epidemic remains unknown, although, according to examinations performed by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, it has been caused by a strain that is found in southern Asia.
Some Haitians accuse Nepalese troops with UN Stabilization Mission for Haiti, or Minustah, of being the origin of the epidemic and have related the outbreak of the disease with the dumping of human waste near a tributary of the Artibonite River.
- Over 2,700 dead in Haiti from cholera - Dec 28, 2010
- Cholera toll in Haiti stands at 1,415 - Nov 24, 2010
- Cholera toll rises to 643 in Haiti - Nov 11, 2010
- Haiti cholera death toll tops 4,000 - Jan 29, 2011
- Haiti cholera toll reaches 3,651 - Jan 07, 2011
- Cholera claimed 4,000 lives in Haiti - Jan 26, 2011
- Haiti cholera toll rises to 2,591 - Dec 22, 2010
- Haiti cholera toll goes up to 724 - Nov 12, 2010
- Over 2,300 now dead from cholera in Haiti - Dec 14, 2010
- Toll due to Haiti cholera rises to 4,672 - Mar 11, 2011
- Haiti cholera toll rises to 2,535 - Dec 19, 2010
- Haiti cholera deaths reach 330 - Oct 30, 2010
- Cholera bacteria in Haiti similar to Southeast Asian variety - Nov 03, 2010
- Haitian fear widespread epidemic as cholera outbreak death toll in Haiti surpasses 250 - Oct 25, 2010
- At least 796 dead in Haiti's cholera outbreak, up to 200,000 in risk - Nov 12, 2010
Tags: artibonite river, caribbean nation, cholera epidemic, deaths, disease control and prevention, earthquake, efe, haiti, haitian capital, haitians, health officials, hundreds of thousands, minustah, northern province, outbreak, plateau, port au prince, scourge, southern asia, tributary