Green Signal To New Morning After Pill By FDA Advisory PanelJune 20th, 2010 - 7:32 pm ICT by GD
By Madhuri Dey
June 20, (THAINDIAN NEWS) An Advisory panel for the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has reportedly approved the launch of the new morning after pill that is more effective than the popular Plan B contraceptive pill. The new contraceptive pill that is named Ella and is produced by a French company is said to be effective even if taken five days after having an unprotected sex.
The advisory panel that consisted of 11 medical experts has found no problem with the birth control pill from being launched in the U.S. market. The Decision of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is still awaited and according to sources it might take few months for the FDA to declare its decision. However, the new morning after pill is still stirring controversy in United States as its launch in the market is being opposed by the Anti-abortion activists and lawmakers.
While the manufacturers maintain that the medicine only delays the ovulation, the anti-abortion activists cite that the pill works by stopping the fertilized egg from getting implanted in the uterus wall of a woman. The composition of the Ella also resembles with that of the abortion pill RU-486 that has a record of preventing pregnancy for even up to nine weeks after the sexual intercourse.
After the approval of the federal advisory panel, the manufacturing company of Ella is hoping to make it big in the U.S. market as well. Erin Gainer a top U.S. executive of the company said to a media source that the company is delighted that the effectiveness of their product has been confirmed by the panel. He also added that the company is hopeful that it will get the FDA nod as well.
- US approves five-day emergency contraceptive - Aug 14, 2010
- New Morning-After Pill Awaits FDA Approval - Jun 15, 2010
- Advisory panel to FDA approves five-day emergency contraceptive - Jun 18, 2010
- 'Five days after' contraceptive pill approved - Aug 14, 2010
- New Morning after pill might be available to Americans soon - Jun 15, 2010
- FDA Says 'New Morning After Pill' is Effective and Safe - Jun 15, 2010
- FDA Consultants Endorse New 'Morning After' Pill - Jun 20, 2010
- FDA finds the new morning after pill safe - Jun 20, 2010
- EllaOne: Emergency contraception pill or abortive agent? - Feb 02, 2010
- The New Morning After Pill Proves To Be More Effective - Jun 15, 2010
- FDA Advisory Panel Recommends Contrave's Approval - Dec 09, 2010
- FDA declines permission for diet drug - Feb 02, 2011
- New five-day emergency contraceptive on sale in Britain - Nov 01, 2010
- Chinese women forced to register for morning-after pill - Dec 29, 2011
- FDA rejects combo cholesterol drug - Mar 07, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,