Grapes may help you prevent premature ageingAugust 1st, 2011 - 11:50 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 1 (IANS) If you wish to avoid looking older than your age, try relishing grapes. A new study has found this fruit could protect against skin cancer and prevent premature ageing.
The study has shown that compounds found in the fruit protect cells from the ultraviolet radiation emitted by the sun - the leading environmental cause of skin cancer, Daily Mail reported.
Ultra violet (UV) rays increase the levels of reactive oxygen species - harmful molecules which damage the cells - in the skin.
Scientists from the University of Barcelona and the Spanish National Research Council have shown that substances called flavonoids extracted from grapes can prevent these from forming in cells exposed to UV rays.
“These encouraging results should be taken into consideration… to develop new photo- protection skin products,” says Marta Cascante, a biochemist at the University of Barcelona and director of the research project.
Cascante, whose report was published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, added: “This study supports the idea of using these products to protect the skin from cell damage and death caused by solar radiation.”
- Strawberry extract protects skin against UV rays - Aug 05, 2012
- Honeysuckle coating protects people from UV rays - Jun 02, 2011
- Ultraviolet light 'helps skin cancer cells survive, proliferate' - Dec 08, 2010
- Keep wrinkles at bay, protect skin from childhood - May 11, 2012
- Can sauvignon blanc in sunscreen help avoid sunburn? - Jan 17, 2011
- Sun-triggered protein 'makes skin cancer worse' - Feb 04, 2011
- Busting myths about tanning and sun protection - May 25, 2010
- UV radiation bouncing off eyes may cause skin cancer - Dec 05, 2010
- Season, time of day 'predict higher UV levels' - Nov 16, 2010
- Oral and topical agents prevents UV-induced skin cancer - Aug 06, 2010
- Arctic ozone layer depleted by 40 percent: Experts - Apr 06, 2011
- Soon, plant-based sunscreens that may prevent skin cancer - Aug 28, 2010
- Sunshine causes wrinkles 'even through a window' - Sep 07, 2010
- World's toughest bacterium discovered - Sep 06, 2010
- Whales also get sunburns! - Nov 10, 2010
Tags: biochemist, cause of skin cancer, cells, compounds, daily mail, environmental cause, grapes, harmful molecules, journal of agricultural and food chemistry, national research council, oxygen species, photo protection, scientists, skin cancer, skin products, solar radiation, spanish national research council, ultraviolet radiation, university of barcelona, uv rays