Grape juice may prevent onset of Alzheimer’sNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:37 am ICT by admin
The researchers have found that polyphenols prevent the accumulation of beta-amyloid in the brain, and their formation into plaques associated with Alzheimer’s disease.
“This grape polyphenol research is preliminary, but very encouraging,” said Dr. Giulio Pasinetti, principal investigator of the research program in polyphenolics at Mount Sinai School of Medicine (MSSM).
“The results show the potential protective role which non-alcoholic, polyphenol-rich Concord grape juice may play in maintaining long term cognitive health,” added Dr. Pasinetti.
In a previous study, the same team of researchers had found that moderate consumption of red wine reduced AD-type neuropathology and prevented cognitive decline in a transgenic mouse model.
They, however, had warned that even moderate intake of alcohol might carry health risks, particularly with an older population.
Dr. Pasinetti says that the studies being conducted by his group will provide critical information about the functional role of selected grape-derived polyphenols in the prevention of Alzheimer’s disease and cognitive deterioration.
“Our goal is to learn which compounds are bioactively available to reach the brain and exert a benefit,” says Dr. Pasinetti. (ANI)
- Grape seed extracts could protect against Alzheimer's - Jul 16, 2011
- How to boost Alzheimer's-fighting compounds' value - Aug 18, 2009
- Indications of Alzheimer's may be evident decades before first signs - Mar 29, 2011
- Soon, wine pills to ward off Alzheimers - Jun 18, 2008
- New gene could explain relationship between diabetes, Alzheimer's - Oct 13, 2010
- How red wine fights Alzheimer''s disease - Nov 22, 2008
- Antihypertensive drugs may offer protection against Alzheimer's - Jun 24, 2010
- Glass of red wine can help regulate diabetes - Nov 22, 2010
- Champagne is good for the heart - Dec 13, 2009
- Drinking 100-pc fruit juice 'as healthy as eating whole fruits' - Apr 12, 2011
- Thumbs down to benefits of chocolate, red wine - Aug 29, 2012
- The natural 'super-smoothie' that cuts cardiac risk - May 05, 2011
- Potent new vaccine found effective against Alzheimer's - Jun 08, 2012
- Red wine shields brain from stroke damage - Apr 22, 2010
- High plasma levels of beta-amyloid linked with faster cognitive decline - Aug 10, 2010
Tags: alzheimer, beta amyloid, brain, cognitive decline, cognitive deterioration, cognitive health, concord grape juice, functional role, moderate consumption, mount sinai school, mount sinai school of medicine, mssm, polyphenol, polyphenols, preventive effects, red wine, transgenic mouse model