Government health insurance to cover beedi workersMarch 15th, 2012 - 11:42 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 15 (IANS) The government’s health insurance scheme for poor is being extended to cover the beneficiaries of the flagship rural job guarantee schemeand beedi workers, the Economic Survey said Thursday.
The survey, tabled by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee in the Lok Sabha, said that there has been an increase in public health investment in the country.
“The Rasthriya Swasthaya Bima Yojana (RSBY) is being extended to cover Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MNREGA) beneficiaries beneficiaries and beedi workers,” said the survey.
The central government sponsored health insurance scheme is for the below poverty line (BPL) families in the unorganised sector. It was launched in 2007.
“In addition to increasing resource allocation for the health sector, the government is also playing a critical role in facilitating access to health care delivery channels, public and private through subsidised health, insurance schemes like the RSBY for providing basic health care to poor and marginal workers,” it said.
- Now, workers in unorganised sector under health insurance scheme - Jan 12, 2012
- Max Bupa bids for state health insurance in three states - Oct 18, 2011
- Cashless health insurance for 4.75 mn domestic workers - Jun 23, 2011
- Spread awareness on health schemes: Dikshit - Jun 30, 2012
- 12th Five Year Plan to focus on health: PM - Aug 15, 2011
- Bihar assembly committee to probe 'health scam' - Aug 09, 2012
- Over 14.5 million covered under social security programme - Nov 29, 2010
- NHRC notice to Chhattisgarh on rampant uterus-removal surgeries - Jul 25, 2012
- Meghalaya to introduce health insurance scheme - Aug 02, 2011
- Medical insurance for 55 lakh beedi workers - Jun 09, 2011
- Why no social security for unorganised workers, NAC asks government - Apr 30, 2012
- National Social Security Fund to be set up for unorganized sector workers - Feb 26, 2010
- 20 percent hike in health budget - Feb 28, 2011
- Government mulling health insurance for domestic workers - Jul 27, 2010
- Cabinet okays Rs.1,000 crore fund for unorganised workers - Jul 28, 2011
Tags: access to health care, basic health care, central government, critical role, delivery channels, economic survey, finance minister, government health insurance, health care delivery, health insurance, health insurance scheme, health insurance schemes, health sector, Lok Sabha, mahatma gandhi, marginal workers, poverty line, pranab mukherjee, resource allocation, unorganised sector