Glaucoma set to rise as population agesMarch 11th, 2010 - 12:34 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 11 (IANS) In a bid to spread awareness about glaucoma, an eye disease that is the second leading cause of blindness across the world and is expected to rise as the population ages, eyecare professionals here as elsewhere are observing World Glaucoma Week until March 13.
According to B.Sridhar Rao, president of the Glaucoma Society of India, an NGO that aims to sensitise people about the disease, 12 million Indians suffer from the disease.
“Glaucoma is the second leading cause of blindness worldwide. Glaucoma currently affects approximately 12 million people in India and 65 million people worldwide - numbers that can be expected to increase as the population ages,” Rao said.
“Unfortunately, many people with glaucoma are unaware that they have it until there is a large amount of irreversible vision loss,” he added.
Glaucoma is often nicknamed the “sneak thief of sight” because the loss of vision normally occurs gradually over a long period of time and is often only recognised when the disease is quite advanced.
Glaucoma week, being observed since March 7, aims to make people aware of the disease and emphasises the importance of regular eye checks.
- Regular checkup must to detect glaucoma - Mar 14, 2012
- Stem cells could cure 'silent thief of sight' - Mar 12, 2011
- Eye problem cases have increased, say doctors - Oct 12, 2011
- Brit scientists crack gene code of blindness-causing disease - Sep 16, 2010
- New research says glaucoma is in one's genes - Sep 04, 2012
- Cure for glaucoma soon, says new research - Oct 06, 2009
- Bionic eye implant ready for human trials - Feb 09, 2012
- Omega-3 in seafood may protect seniors' eyes - Dec 02, 2010
- Beware of lurking, sneak thief of sight - Jan 11, 2009
- Two-thirds of world's blind are women: Study - Oct 08, 2009
- Obese women may be less likely to develop chronic eye disease - Feb 15, 2011
- Identification of glaucoma gene paves way for future therapies - Feb 18, 2011
- Green tea may help fight glaucoma - Apr 22, 2010
- Grapes can stave off age-related blindness - Jan 15, 2012
- Unexpected biological pathway in glaucoma discovered - Jan 04, 2011
Tags: cause of blindness, checks, eye disease, eyecare professionals, glaucoma, India, indians, leading cause of blindness, loss of vision, march 11, New Delhi, ngo, period of time, population ages, sneak thief, vision loss, worldwide numbers