Glass of fruit juice carries cancer riskSeptember 26th, 2011 - 4:29 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 26 (IANS) Beware of the hidden danger lurking in a seemingly healthy glass of fresh fruit juice — the sugar content could actually increase chances of cancer.
Australian researchers have found that those drinking more than three glasses of juice daily were more likely to develop rectal cancer, a form of bowel cancer.
By the time the drink has been processed and packaged, many of the protective ingredients in the fruit have been lost, researchers say.
They examined the diets of 2,200 adults who filled in a questionnaire detailing their daily eating habits. The team then tracked the participants for two years to see how many of them developed the disease, the Daily Mail reported, quoting the Journal of American Dietetic Association.
They found that eating apples, sprouts, cauliflower or broccoli daily reduced the likelihood of cancer. However, those who consumed lots of fruit juice had a higher risk.
Scientists believe the high sugar content in juice may trigger certain tumours. The team also said that many things found in fruit which help protect against bowel cancer - including fibre, vitamin C and chemicals known as antioxidants - are lost during the juice’s processing.
- 14 foods that deliver research-documented benefits to health - Jan 16, 2011
- Tart cherry juice drinkers sleep better - Dec 09, 2011
- High acid levels in juices damaging kid's teeth - May 20, 2012
- How to boost broccoli's cancer-fighting power - Jan 28, 2011
- Chocolate healthier than many fruit juices - Feb 07, 2011
- 10 do's and don'ts for a healthy, glowing skin - Nov 15, 2010
- Here's how to make a perfect bride on your big day - Aug 01, 2010
- Drinking 100-pc fruit juice 'as healthy as eating whole fruits' - Apr 12, 2011
- Take tea to avoid heart problems, diabetes - Feb 18, 2012
- Orange juice doubles gout risk in women - Nov 11, 2010
- Tart cherries may reduce inflammation, risk factors for heart disease - Apr 13, 2011
- Spice up broccoli to fight cancer better - Sep 14, 2011
- Tart cherries could speed muscle recovery - Feb 10, 2011
- Black rice is the new cancer-fighting superfood (Lead) - Aug 27, 2010
- 'Super food' dark chocolates are healthier than fruits: Study - Feb 07, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,